Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
Adelus

Default Modular Cyborg - Statting?

Hello all. I was considering a hypothetical character and ran into a stumbling block.

The idea is a cyborg whose arms and lower body beneath the waist can be swapped out with different configurations as suits their needs. Now normally this would probably just be alternate forms, but how would one handle the fact the arms and the lower body can be changed independently of each other with alternate forms?

Additionally, how does one handle this if this ability is common among cyborgs in the setting, and there exist platforms that can be purchased or rented, making it less of an individual character trait and more of a Gear/Equipment thing?
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Langy

Default Re: Modular Cyborg - Statting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus View Post
Hello all. I was considering a hypothetical character and ran into a stumbling block.

The idea is a cyborg whose arms and lower body beneath the waist can be swapped out with different configurations as suits their needs. Now normally this would probably just be alternate forms, but how would one handle the fact the arms and the lower body can be changed independently of each other with alternate forms?

Additionally, how does one handle this if this ability is common among cyborgs in the setting, and there exist platforms that can be purchased or rented, making it less of an individual character trait and more of a Gear/Equipment thing?
This is something I have a lot of interest in and have thought about a bit. The solution I've used in the past is to give the character the appropriate traits to represent what they're like without the arms/legs installed, and then purchase new ones that use the Gadget modifier. I'd definitely consider just giving them a price in dollars rather than a price in character points.

Anyways, I'll see about putting together a nice little rule set for this later. The basics of it would be that you'd have a main trait set that makes you a cyborg and allows you to switch out your arms/legs/other implants, and this advantage would increase in cost based on how powerful or extensive your cybernetics are, and the actual legs/arms/etc would just cost money rather than CP, but would be built using something like the Metatronic Generators method (whereby abilities are bought with CP but then converted to cash money).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Full price for highest point set of limbs, and 1/5 price for each additional advantage?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

I'm thinking Modular Abilities here. Seems like a good fit, really.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:31 AM   #5
vierasmarius

I think it really comes down to how the setting handles cybernetics, which would largely be a function of how pervasive they are. In a Supers campaign, where any Cyborg is likely to be a unique snowflake, the Alternative Abilities or Modular Abilities approach fits best.

In a Cyberpunk or Transhumanist game where anyone can purchase a new limb for cash, cybernetics become standard gear and points shouldn't be charged for them. I'd build the character with the appropriate Missing Limb disadvantages with a technological Mitigator, then add the equivalent of a Weapon Mount [2] as a modular equipment attachment point.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
GodBeastX

Isn't this the exact reason for the Module Abilities rule?

The idea that you can swap abilities and be unable to use two different ones at the same time?
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Isn't this the exact reason for the Module Abilities rule?

The idea that you can swap abilities and be unable to use two different ones at the same time?
Yeah, but pricing it as Modular Abilities is extremely expensive in CP - something like 12 points per CP of cyber-abilities; the Physical, +100% modifier is absurd. That's in no way reasonable, especially if the character only has a few of those limbs (just like a character is likely to only have a few weapons or backpacks or radios). The other major issue is that they CP-limit what the character can utilize - not all cyber arms are going to be equal. Many GMs don't like fluctuating point totals, so something that avoids that would be nice.

Vierasmarius has the right idea - if the limbs are intended to be as pervasive as gear, they should be treated roughly as such.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Full price for highest point set of limbs, and 1/5 price for each additional advantage?
Sounds like an excellent candidate for Alternative Abilities. When you have a fixed catalogue of options, I always go for Alternative Abilities.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Sounds like an excellent candidate for Alternative Abilities. When you have a fixed catalogue of options, I always go for Alternative Abilities.
Something to consider when using AA for this is that, by default, that requires a single Ready action to switch abilities (or instant for switching between attacks). Cybernetics which must be manually replaced would of course take a lot longer to switch. I'm not sure the best way to price that - it could be Extra Time, but that would increase the time for every activation of the power, not just the time to switch. Perhaps use Extra Time but halve the limitation value.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Something to consider when using AA for this is that, by default, that requires a single Ready action to switch abilities (or instant for switching between attacks). Cybernetics which must be manually replaced would of course take a lot longer to switch. I'm not sure the best way to price that - it could be Extra Time, but that would increase the time for every activation of the power, not just the time to switch. Perhaps use Extra Time but halve the limitation value.
Eh, AAs are pretty cheap as it is, and aren't they generally thematically related? I'd say the benefit of having a theme as broad as "things that get plugged into my arm stump" comes with the drawback of "swapping them takes as long as plugging something into my arm stump." Just increase the number of Ready maneuvers, and don't forget the Gadget limitations.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyborgs, modular, powers