Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Kalzazz

Default [RPM] RPM in Game

What spells have people actually cast in game?

Here are 3 spells my character actually cast last session of Godogma's game

Powered Recollection
Looks 10 years into the past in a 15 yard radius

This Casting: Greater Sense Crossroads (2) + Range, Cross-time: 10,000 days (10) + Area Of Effect, 15 yards (10) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 69 energy (23×3).

Notes - We were investigating a ghosty, so we wanted to see what happened 10 years ago (when the ghost died)

Floating Object
Floats a object to follow simple instructions (like follow me, stay etc)

This Casting: Greater Control Matter (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Range, 5 yds (2) + Duration, 3 hours (4) + Subject Weight, 100 lbs. (2) + Speed, 5 yds/second (2). 60 energy (20×3).

We had found the ghost's body and needed to take it with us, so this was to float it along after us for transport

Portal Home
Its a portal, in this case was going home

This Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Range, 300,000 yds (31) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Speed, 300,000 yds/second (31) + Area Of Effect, 3 yards (2). 213 energy (71×3).

Notes - a portal spell, for A to B
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: [RPM] RPM in Game

Well then, I would love to join that game if you will have me :)

On a side note I had an NPC in my game use a candle charm that made anyone listening in on the room to only hear muffles, I believe it was written up with obscure hearing, duration was "till candle goes out", range was the room.

A magical scrambler!
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Lamech

I tend to use buff spells, with the occasional healing. A spell to add strength, a spell for luck type advantages, a spell for night vision. Stuff like that.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

A lot of the spells me or my players create in game usually end up official sources... That said, a good chunk of them emulate other sources (one of my players whom I'm teaching the RPM system asked how to do the necromancer's spells from Diablo II - so we wrote them all up, a fun exercise) or are so original they really don't emulate any. And to add something to the thread, this was created by that same player for his technomage character...

Wiretap
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Energy + Lesser Control Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Penalty, Others detection of the spell.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This spell, usually cast as a charm (typically on a actual listening device), allows the caster to listen in on phone conversions, read email, text messages, etc of a particular gadget that is within 100 miles of you. It lasts for 1 week, and others rolls to detect it are at -5. It transmits to one device of your choice after casting that weighs no more than 100 lbs.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Energy (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Bestows a Penalty, -5 on others rolls to detect the spell (16) + Duration, 1 week (9) + Range, 100 miles (30) + Subject Weight, 100 lbs (2). 67 energy (67×1).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 07-04-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:18 AM   #5
Kalzazz

Some more spells, from a new character (in a Pseudo Medieval High Fantasy setting), Jaina the Battlemage (with a specialization in Hydromancy)

So, Jaina and friends are off to go Desert Bandit hunting, yay!

We figure that the bandits must be near water, since bandits don't thrive without it, so

Seek Water: It seeks . . . water!

This Casting:*Lesser Sense Matter (2) + Duration, 6 hours (5) + Range, 300 miles (7).*14 energy (14×1).

Since hiking across the desert would be very miserable, and Jaina isn't good enough at Gate Magic to handle portals, something else was in order (Pro Tip, dont try to fly brooms inside a city, it upsets people)

Flying Broom: It causes a broom (or broom like object) to fly according to the rider's commands.

This Casting: Greater Control Matter (5) + Duration, 6 hours (5) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Speed, 20 yds/second (6). 57 energy (19×3).

Then we got attacked by a ST 100, SM 5, DR 6 roc! It grappled Jaina but she made a wrestling check to escape, while her friend beat on it with a greatsword and did 68 or so damage, the roc turned to flee but Jaina was upset by nearly becoming bird food so let it have it with one of her conditionals which tipped it over into KO check range.

Hydro Crush: Conjures a mass of water to crush the contents of a 5 yard radius area with the Force of the Deeps! Up to 5 yards away (uses range so it casts off casting skill rather than innate attack to hit. Can be dodged or defended IF you can handle the radius!)

This Casting: Greater Create Matter (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Range, 15 yds (5) + Damage, External Crushing 19d-1 (21) + Area Of Effect, 5 yards (4). 123 energy (41×3).
Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 AM   #6
Kalzazz

Now, with an out cold roc, we hatched upon the idea of mind controlling it to take along as backup! It is only Lesser since the roc is a normal low IQ animal, if a huge one.

Control Big Bird - Mind Control Spell for a giant bird

This Casting: Lesser Control Mind (5) + Duration, 2 weeks (10) + Range, 2 yds (0). 15 energy (15×1).

It then needed to be healed up! (and its a 30 ton critter, but remember the extra healing for High HP applies)

Healing Spell - It is a healing spell. It heals!

This Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Range, 2 yds (0) + Healing, 2d HP (4) + Subject Weight, 50 tons (8). 48 energy (16×3).

So bird in tow we headed to the suspected Bandit Lair and Jaina decided that some sneakiness buffs were in order (with her IQ 20 she has Stealth 15, but her friend alas had Stealth 9), but first she decided to buff her friends swordplay!

Melee Academy: A mental bootcamp to grandly boost skill with One Specific Weapon!

This Casting: Lesser Strengthen Mind (3) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Duration, 6 hours (5) + Bestows A Bonus, +5 to To rolls with specified weapon (32). 45 energy (45×1).

This was actually cast as an off the cuff spell, not conditional, so 40 energy. Jaina then cast a spell to buff sneakiness (a moderate category) as Lesser Destroy Energy, but otherwise identical to the spell above

Jaina didnt actually fight the bandits any, her friend (with 2 handed sword 20, a balanced fine greatsword, and 18 Striking ST with it) and boosted Melee Academy and Sneakiness turned the bandits encountered so far into kibble
Old 01-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
Kalzazz

So, had found a cave, and it was dark!

Darkvision: Grants Darkvision with Color! Does so by transforming received energy that abound into proper human sensible input.

This Casting: Lesser Transform Energy (8) + Altered Trait, , Darkvision with Color (30) + Duration, 1 hour (3). 41 energy (41×1).

Yeah . . . . . I think I goofed on this one, oops
Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
So, had found a cave, and it was dark!

Darkvision: Grants Darkvision with Color! Does so by transforming received energy that abound into proper human sensible input.

This Casting: Lesser Transform Energy (8) + Altered Trait, , Darkvision with Color (30) + Duration, 1 hour (3). 41 energy (41×1).

Yeah . . . . . I think I goofed on this one, oops
I might be wrong but I think it should be a greater effect rather than a lesser effect. The example under create energy for a greater effect is "flood a cave with light", and while lesser transformation mentions shifting the light spectrum into the infrared spectrum I think pushing it all the way into Dark Vision would kick it up to the Greater level.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Yeah, I think this would be a Greater effect, not a Lesser one Kalzazz

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
Kalzazz

Yeah, 20/20 hindsight being what it is would rule greater myself on that one, but at the time I wasn't sure one way or another off the top of my head, so it went something like this

In this case, paraphrasing
DM: 'Jaina and friends find a cave'
Jaina: 'Is it Dark?'
DM: 'Yes'
Jaina: 'Okay . . so, okay, I want to transform the energy stuffs as it enters our eyes so we can see, say Transform Energy, Altered Traits, Darkvision with Color . . that work? Greater or lesser?'
DM: 'Sure! Sounds Lesser'

But yeah, part of the entire purpose of this thead is to catch errors like that (though admittedly, if the DM says its lesser, its lesser . . but, it is worth going back over, so he may rule differently in the future) and get commentary on spells etc

Also to try to get an idea and show what actually happens with RPM magic and how it gets used in actual gameplay (as opposed to perflectly spherical frictionless RPM cast in the infinite featureless plain etc)