Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #2911
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Also, with much of the world shocked disgusted with the USA making sure highly conservative 1930s Britain still sees America as a possible ally is also vital.
American manufacturing power will take care of that. A non-prejudiced USA may be shocking, but it won't be as bad as the USSR. The British will be sure it's just a phase the Americans are going through.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #2912
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I'm thinking you're attaching excess importance to the American revolution and not enough importance to the mental state of George III, based on what I know of events in the provinces after George III's passing.

But if we continue this discussion, we run the risk of turning this thread political and having it locked...
Unicorn Healing Magic means that George III is perfectly sane.

Realistically a surviving Confederacy timeline will have a weaker America as it splits the Mississippi River and gives the US a major enemy with a land border, details here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILn85WKo0Qk
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #2913
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I actually don't think it makes much difference there. People in the US tend to be somewhat oblivious to it, but part of the reason much of Europe looked down on the Colonials was that they believed (correctly, another one of those details American racists tend to be vague on) that even the "white" elites were mixed bloods.
And let's remember that racism is only one bigotry. The total fade out of homophobia will be a huge freak out. Just picture a Western were it's obvious the cowboys are a couple, at least until they find wives. A senario so common in the real Old West that Hollywood bent over backwards to make sure that no one thought that the hero and his sidekick were lovers. Europe would be freaked in this world.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 11-24-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #2914
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
And let's remember that racism is only one bigotry. The total fade out of homophobia will be a huge freak out. Just picture a Western were it's obvious the cowboys are a couple, at least until they find wives. A senario so common in the real Old West that Hollywood bent over backwards to make sure that no one thought that the hero and his sidekick were lovers. Europe would be freaked in this world.
Eh, foreigners always have barbaric customs, and honestly this one affects a small fraction of the population and doesn't much threaten anybody outside America. Their problem.

I think the explosive one is the gender equality. If Americans have suddenly altered the way families have always worked (and if they've really given up prejudices this has happened, well, not quite overnight but on the timescale of people changing jobs) in an era where feminism is starting to be a serious issue in the rest of the world, that's a big deal.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #2915
Flyndaran
Untagged

If they really lost of forms of stereotyping and prejudices, then that would include the fear of foreigners and their strange ways. Ultimate cosmopolitan society very quickly.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #2916
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If they really lost of forms of stereotyping and prejudices, then that would include the fear of foreigners and their strange ways. Ultimate cosmopolitan society very quickly.
Which raises an important question - do foreigners become affected by the mind control when they step across the border? Or take an oath of citizenship?

If it's triggered just by entering the country, that could be very bad news for Infinity. The first agents who arrive there lose their prejudices against out-timers, realize they are fully human and that the Secret is therefore unfairly discriminatory if not outright Evil, and announce the truth to the world....
Old 11-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #2917
Astromancer

Quote:
And cosmopolitanism was one of the great horrors of the period.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #2918
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Which raises an important question - do foreigners become affected by the mind control when they step across the border? Or take an oath of citizenship?

If it's triggered just by entering the country, that could be very bad news for Infinity. The first agents who arrive there lose their prejudices against out-timers, realize they are fully human and that the Secret is therefore unfairly discriminatory if not outright Evil, and announce the truth to the world....
All American citizens were effected no matter were they lived. Those becoming citizens after January of 1936 aren't affected. However, life in the states seems to erode most bigotries.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #2919
Flyndaran
Untagged

So the people are changed instantly, while immigrants are changed over time regardless of how realistic that may be? I feel that may be scarier to nations when their spies and intelligence agents all change sides like that.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 11-24-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Flyndaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:35 AM   #2920
Astromancer

Quote:
So the people are changed instantly, while immigrants are changed over time regardless of how realistic that may be? I feel that may be scarier to nations when their spies and intelligence agents all change sides like that.
You misunderstand me. I assume that living among people free of a given bigotry will, in most, but not all cases, erode that bigotry. People tend to fall in with those around them.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 11-25-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited