Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #81
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [RPM] RPM in Game

It occured to me the other day me that I really want to be someday able to play the hardboiled noir practicioner version of me from vignettes.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #82
Zarmonic

My one and only real practical contribution to the adventure but it was an important one.

Lucky Pole
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows A Bonus.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

Cast on the greasy pole which is the only way across a pit. All attempts to cross using it are at a +6 to DX

This Casting: Lesser Control Chance (5) + Bestows A Bonus, +6 (32) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 38 energy (38×1).

In retrospect, the GM would have been fair to include Subject Weight but it was probably not more than 300lbs and that would have been just another 3 points and not to much harder with my Path of Chance 19.
Zarmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #83
Dalillama

Not sure +6 is legit for a lesser effect.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:57 AM   #84
Zarmonic

Yeah, It does seem that there should be a limit there but according to the book, for Path of Chance there is not.

"The degree of the bonus or penalty does not affect whether the ritual is Lesser or Greater" RPM8
Zarmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #85
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarmonic View Post
Yeah, It does seem that there should be a limit there but according to the book, for Path of Chance there is not.

"The degree of the bonus or penalty does not affect whether the ritual is Lesser or Greater" RPM8
Yea, the actual limit on the bonus/penalty for path of chance is 'what could be accomplished by good or bad 'luck' during the attempt'.

The GM felt +6 was ok for a greased pole over a pit of spikes, so he got to go with it.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #86
Kalzazz

The quest was also to retrieve a stolen Lucky Cat, so it was in theme with the adventure
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #87
Ser Biffy Clegane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
How to get home? Well, we have a roc, it can carry us. But we cant all ride it, so a SM +5 roc needs a SM+5 large basket!

Super Bewitched Basket: Conjures a SM+5 3000 lb wicker basket! With capacity of 900 cubic feet and weight capacity 37 tons! Retails for 6k so crafting check of -3! (So for no skill, IQ -7)

This Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Subject Weight, 3,000 lbs. (5) + Duration, 12 hours (6) + Bestows A Bonus, +7 to Professional Skill: Weaving (64). 81 energy (81×1).

Jaina cast the spell, but failed the IQ-7 check (She needed 13)
Sorry for necro-bumping this six year old post, but I love this spell and have a question. :-)

This looks like it includes a bonus for the crafting roll required as part of the create spell itself. Do people think that's cutting too close to "Spells cannot make anyone better at using magic," or is the crafting roll for a creation or tranformation essentially non-magical? Thanks!
Ser Biffy Clegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #88
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Biffy Clegane View Post
Sorry for necro-bumping this six year old post, but I love this spell and have a question. :-)

This looks like it includes a bonus for the crafting roll required as part of the create spell itself. Do people think that's cutting too close to "Spells cannot make anyone better at using magic," or is the crafting roll for a creation or tranformation essentially non-magical? Thanks!
It is specifically allowed when the spell effect is Create and the bonus to skill is affecting what is creating.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:27 PM   #89
Kalzazz

So Luna, Princess of the Night and friends were on a quest

The guide they were following turned into an Eagle. Notably Luna did not speak Eagle, so this spell to broaden her Speak with Animals from Equines (-60%) to Warmbloods (-40%)

Broaden Beast Speech
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Speak with Animals (Equines) to Warmbloods + Duration.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

Allows a subject able to speak with a subgroup of animals to speak with a broader subgroup

This Casting: Lesser Strengthen Mind (3) + Altered Trait, Speak with Animals (Equines) to Warmbloods (5) + Duration, 1 day (7). 15 energy (15×1).

The Eagle was flying at move 40. Luna flies at move 10. This is a problem.

Idea 1 to fix it! Summon a dancing aircraft. This idea wouldn't work, Luna would fail the crafting check even if she cast the spell.

Create Dancing Aircraft
Spell Effects: Greater Control Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: Duration.
Greater Effects: 2 (×5).

Creates a Dancing Aircraft! Craft check at -6 total (+3 for spell, -9 for 85k cost, the DH-4 from High Tech 233 was intended)

This Casting: Greater Control Matter (5) + Greater Create Matter (6) + Duration, 6 hours (5) + Bestows A Bonus, +3 to Craft Me! (4) + Subject Weight, 5 tons (6). 130 energy (26×5).

Okay add a couple levels of Enhanced Move Air to Luna would work right? Nope, she isn't a strong enough caster.

Zoom Zoom!
Spell Effects: Greater Strengthen Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Enhanced Move 2 + Subject Weight.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

Makes for the Zoom Zoom!

This Casting: Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Trait, Enhanced Move 2 (40) + Subject Weight, 100 lbs. (2) + Duration, 1 day (7). 156 energy (52×3).

Create an airplane without making it dancing? But still iffy about her casting and crafting.

Instant Airplane
Spell Effects: Greater Create Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: Subject Weight + Duration + Bestows A Bonus, Craft Me.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

Creates a Aircraft! Craft check at -5 total (+4 for spell, -9 for 85k cost, the DH-4 from High Tech 233 was intended)

This Casting: Greater Create Matter (6) + Subject Weight, 5 tons (6) + Duration, 1 day (7) + Bestows A Bonus, +5 to Craft Me (16). 105 energy (35×3).

So. Uh. Eventual solution was to cast a lesser version of Zoom Zoom that was 81 energy for only 1 level of enhanced move on a much faster party member strong enough to carry Luna and off we go
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote