Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #41
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: GURPS Magic Flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Question? Are there any martial arts, real or fictional, that focus mainly on the problems of working as a functional team?
There are several pages of stuff in Tactical Shooting (p20-25) about this. They are largely about who moves when and in which direction, which GURPS doesn't make into skill rolls, so they don't fit the Martial Arts framework. Players also tend to want to do stuff individually.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #42
davidtmoore

There is also the Teamwork perk, which gives the PCs combat bonuses if they work together...
Old 12-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #43
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtmoore View Post
There is also the Teamwork perk, which gives the PCs combat bonuses if they work together...
This and shield wall training are the two game-mechanical expressings of what you're asking about (at least those two come to mind). But most military martial arts emphasize, to greater or lesser degree, teamwork and coordinating action on the battlefield.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #44
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtmoore View Post
The Teamwork Perk would be vital to any system of teaching Battle Mages and Warriors to work as a team. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #45
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There are several pages of stuff in Tactical Shooting (p20-25) about this. They are largely about who moves when and in which direction, which GURPS doesn't make into skill rolls, so they don't fit the Martial Arts framework. Players also tend to want to do stuff individually.
Would any of this info be useful to someone working out a system for Mages and conventional warriors working as a team? Would even the framework provide useful pointers?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #46
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Would any of this info be useful to someone working out a system for Mages and conventional warriors working as a team? Would even the framework provide useful pointers?
Well, it's mostly about how to use and deal with cover when you're armed with deadly ranged attacks that are quick to activate. Spell casting is generally a lot slower (a whole second) than firing a crossbow, and warriors can generally carry a lot more armour than magicians, so the translations of these tactics will be mostly about the warriors. The obvious role of magicians in this kind of fighting is to remove or negate cover and barriers.

So I'd guess it would be useful: not so much as something to directly translate as a set of example problems to test your ideas against.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #47
doulos05

Quote:
It seems to me the most useful point of reference would be pike and shot formations. Early gunpowder weapons are similar to magic attack spells. High damage, but long reload/recharge times. Depending on how long it takes mages to recharge themselves, you'd vary the ratio from 25%/75% pikes to mages to 75%/25%. More downtime your mages need, the more mages you need to maintain your base of fire.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #48
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
In my current long-running campaign, I wanted to restrict generalism without putting insane amounts of work into creating Magical Styles, so I simply decided that each college of magic is its own style.
I have considered only allowing one-college Magery in the past, as an even blunter instrument.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #49
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I have considered only allowing one-college Magery in the past, as an even blunter instrument.
Would you allow someone to buy two separate one-college mageries to get, say, Healing and Light or Plant and Fire? I can see up to three colleges being workable at those prices, as much as I'd grumble about being made to pay through the nose, and four happens to be about as many as my character concepts have ever called for.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #50
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

unless of course youwhat to make a gate mage or a meta magic mage. I suppose you can just pay the unusual background to not have the prereqs though.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic