Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Qhaysh

Default [PSIONIC POWERS] Expanding Combat Sense

I'm writing some material for a psionics campaign I intend to run (eventually). I was re-reading Psionic Powers and I noticed Combat Sense doesn't give any attack bonuses. How could I change it in order to have bonuses both to attack and defense? I thought about Higher Purpose, but the bonus seems to broad for a mere 5 pts. Suggestions?
Qhaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Mathulhu

Default Re: [PSIONIC POWERS] Expanding Combat Sense

All weapons is probably a [15] point talent.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
All weapons is probably a [15] point talent.
Yes, it's essentially a fairly large subset of DX. DX is 20 CP/lvl. It is rather less than that, but on the other hand, combat skills are highly useful, so there's not a strong case for saying it should cost 10 CP/lvl.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Gef

Compartmentalized Mind (Only for Aim/Evaluate) - Pretty significant bonus in a firefight, and in melee, +1 to hit AND less fooled by feint or deceptive attack, which fits the idea of combat sense. Of course, you'll need more limitations: No Mental Separation, and Power Mod, and skill roll. To make buy-in cheaper and level it, start with a half-cost potential advantage granting a free Evaluate on every other turn. -GEF

EDIT: If you don't believe Aim and Evaluate are mental maneuvers, use Altered Time Rate instead of Compartmentalized Mind. Once you strip out the mobility and out-of-combat productivity, I reckon it'll price the same.

Last edited by Gef; 12-12-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Yes, it's essentially a fairly large subset of DX. DX is 20 CP/lvl. It is rather less than that, but on the other hand, combat skills are highly useful, so there's not a strong case for saying it should cost 10 CP/lvl.
Realistically, it would probably land somewhere between 10 and 15, but GURPS tends to pentaphile things wherever possible.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Compartmentalized Mind (Only for Aim/Evaluate) - Pretty significant bonus in a firefight, and in melee, +1 to hit AND less fooled by feint or deceptive attack, which fits the idea of combat sense. Of course, you'll need more limitations: No Mental Separation, and Power Mod, and skill roll. To make buy-in cheaper and level it, start with a half-cost potential advantage granting a free Evaluate on every other turn. -GEF

EDIT: If you don't believe Aim and Evaluate are mental maneuvers, use Altered Time Rate instead of Compartmentalized Mind. Once you strip out the mobility and out-of-combat productivity, I reckon it'll price the same.
Indeed I don't. ATR for Aiming seems very similar to Gunslinger and/or Heroic Archer (which is no bad thing, that would be a cool use of ESP for combat advantage).
Evaluate doesn't have an equivalent though (apart from "have higher Skill"), which seems a shame.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
PK

Were I to do this, I'd probably add the following to each level. And yeah, I'd spell out what "DX!" really means to avoid confusion; it's still the same base 15 points/level.

Extra DX Without Basic Speed (Aspected, Combat, -20%; Does not affect Parry or Block, -5%; ESP, -10%) [10/level]

The second limitation is just to avoid odd situations where +1 DX would bump (e.g.) Block from an odd number to an even one, arguably increasing it by 2 instead of 1. This way you get smooth results.

Talent makes sense, too, but using Aspected DX! avoids any questions about reaction rolls, triggering Combat Sense while learning, etc.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Realistically, it would probably land somewhere between 10 and 15, but GURPS tends to pentaphile things wherever possible.
If it was any other fairly large subset of DX, sure, 13 CP/lvl. But I'd be very much in favour of rounding up because it's combat skills.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aspected, psi, psionic, psionic powers, psionics