Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 10-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default October 18, 2018: Wanted ? Autoduel Source Code!

October 18, 2018: Wanted ? Autoduel Source Code!

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:28 AM   #2
Tom H.

Default Re: October 18, 2018: Wanted ? Autoduel Source Code!

This may not be anything special, but I still possess the original box for the Apple II with all the components (i.e. disk, rulebook, and map.)

I have no idea how the data on that original 5.25 floppy is still holding up. (I know that's not source code.)

However, I'm assuming you all at headquarters have at least a copy of all this.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:14 AM   #3
XortanThrog

It's listed as DOSBox compatible so you could realise via a platform like GOG easily enough.

https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php...=1130&letter=A
XortanThrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
offsides

I cannot help in any way, but I just wanted to say that the idea of a modern version of Autoduel is awesome. Probably my second favorite computer game from that era, behind the original Wasteland, and just barely edging out the Bard's Tale series. My one hope is that it could be a little more open-ended and not quite so linear, but we'll see what happens... :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Buzzardo

It could happen. I still have code that I wrote in the mid-90s. Modernizing it may be as much work as starting afresh, but that's another issue.

As offsides said, I'd love to see a Car Wars computer game, especially if I can play with friends over the Internet.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
shantke

Fingers crossed! I can neither confirm or deny that there MIGHT be a rumor on Facebook that Code MIGHT have been found. Keep looking, and reaching out to other people as I am probably off my rocker.
shantke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
Parody

If you're just looking at a reimplementation of the old game, you could talk to Krome Studios, the folks who are doing the remastered Bard's Tale Trilogy. Part of what they've been doing for the project is going through the disassembled code of multiple versions of the old games to see how they were different between the different computers and distilling everything down to a single modern version.

Something they found recently: in one of the games the monsters should have been able to cast a certain spell, but in many (all?) versions it never worked properly and the code just cast a different spell instead. Those monsters should be much deadlier in the remaster.

Last edited by Parody; 10-18-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:07 AM   #8
Soylent Pete

I'm coming into this late, but GOG (Good Old Games) got their start fussing with old DOS games for clients, you might try contacting them.

In the meantime, you may be able to just test the DOSBox setup and put it up as-is. I'm not sure there's much value in trying to decompile something that would take a lot of work to make "native". Were there any outstanding PC issues? I only played the C64 version.
Soylent Pete is offline   Reply With Quote