Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-21-2017, 02:59 AM   #1
Quetzalcoatl

Default Power Creep in newer Munchkin games?

Hello

My group of 4 friends have been playing Munchkin Adventure Time (and the addon set) for nearly 2 years every week, sometimes twice a week, now.

It's always great fun and quite balanced in a way. A sort of "Meta" established itself and a lot of different tactics, we all love this game.

Aside from Munchkin Adventure time we've tried one of the normal Munchkin sets, but were not fans of the artstyle present on the cards and the fact that treasure and door cards were not colorcoded that well as well as general setup of the cards and the display of their stats.

We've bought Munchkin Rick and Morty a week ago and we've also come to like it as much as we liked the Adventure Time one.

But one thing we noticed is that you get "OP" really fast in Rick&Morty. The game is flooded with +3 and higher treasure cards and we've found ourselves sitting at 21 strength with only being level 5 before one-shot bonuses.

Also, we've found that once it's time to stop a level 9 player from reaching level 10, it's incredibly easy to power up a monster with one shots, as there is incredibly powerful ones compared to the maximum +10 (or +20 with Glasses of Nerdicon) with the Bakers Shard in Adventure Time.

Also what's sort of strange in Rick&Morty is how many "swap X amount of cards with the player to your left/right) and there is a lot of traps that f**k you and another player to your left/right over, while "meta" combat ender cards are scarce. I mean cards like Wand of Disbursement, Cosmic Owl or Prismo.

Anyone else feel the same way or is it maybe just us having played literally one set for the past years?
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
serleran

Default Re: Power Creep in newer Munchkin games?

The first Munchkin game I felt was really OTP (over-the-top) was Munchkin Fu. It is not a bad thing, but it does play a bit faster, in my experience, than others because it is easier to get bonuses to take down high-value encounters. Sometimes you want a game that will end in 20 minutes.
serleran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

"Power Creep" should be a monster card.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
"Power Creep" should be a monster card.
Yeah, someone should tell the developers.

As for "power creep," it really doesn't bother me in the context of Munchkin. All players are pulling from the same decks of cards, after all.

Although...now I am pondering a variant where individuals or teams use completely different sets from their opponents...
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Mister Ed

Power creep does tend to make the game less interactive, in my experience.

People sometimes get SO powerful, SO quickly, that nobody even bothers trying to stop them from winning combat because it is basically impossible unless you have one of the few, powerful cards that auto-stop the combat.

I mean, sure, I could toss down my +10 to Monster, or Curse away an item, but when the person is already winning the combat by 20 power AND has one-shots they can use if needed, it seems like a waste of resources to try (until there is literally no choice, and they will win otherwise), especially if they also (as they often do) have things that make it VERY unlikely that they will suffer any Bad Stuff.

Probably we need to change our play style, and just start bashing people from the very beginning, not letting them win ANYTHING if we can help it, but that sort of unrelenting nastiness isn't a play style we enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, we still enjoy playing, even if it seems to come down to luck of the draw who wins, rather than feeling like anything we do can have much effect. It's just some good, silly fun.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Solelron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Power creep does tend to make the game less interactive, in my experience.

People sometimes get SO powerful, SO quickly, that nobody even bothers trying to stop them from winning combat because it is basically impossible unless you have one of the few, powerful cards that auto-stop the combat.

I mean, sure, I could toss down my +10 to Monster, or Curse away an item, but when the person is already winning the combat by 20 power AND has one-shots they can use if needed, it seems like a waste of resources to try (until there is literally no choice, and they will win otherwise), especially if they also (as they often do) have things that make it VERY unlikely that they will suffer any Bad Stuff.

Probably we need to change our play style, and just start bashing people from the very beginning, not letting them win ANYTHING if we can help it, but that sort of unrelenting nastiness isn't a play style we enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, we still enjoy playing, even if it seems to come down to luck of the draw who wins, rather than feeling like anything we do can have much effect. It's just some good, silly fun.
The trick to this is a balancing act. You want to make sure you are attacking them enough to cause them to burn cards, while still saving the truly evil for later fights. You let them win some, but time it to hit them at critical points and now allow them to get the big powerups.Force them to blow the illusion on a level 1 monster, etc.

-Jason
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote