Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Apollonian

Default Accessibility: Only in one dimension?

I'm building some spirits for GURPS Cabal, and it seems that some of their abilities should only be available in the material realm (Assiah) - specifically, materialization and possession. Given that most of the action in the campaign is likely to take place in Assiah, does -5% seem like a reasonable discount?
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Accessibility: Only in one dimension?

For a Cabal game, where plane-hopping is sort of an expected activity, I'd actually allow a higher limitation. I'd go with at least -10%, comparable to "only in an altered body state" that Basic uses an example.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Default Re: Accessibility: Only in one dimension?

If "most of the action" takes place in Assiah, then that means any action-oriented on-the-spot ability not usable there would be expected to be "mostly" not available, and thus considerably less valuable. Or conversely, the discount for abilities usable there would be small. Compare with the chart for Accessibility on Powers p. 99, which gives Limitation values for various percentages of time that an ability isn't available. (E.g., -40% for 5% availability; -20% for 50% of the time; -5% for 90% availability.)

The Accessibility chart always strikes me as a little stingy compared to many other Limitations that crimp your likelihood of employing an ability to your benefit when needed. But it's a starting point.

"Affects Substantial" for the Insubstantial Advantage is +100% -- but that's for an ability whose effects "cross over", without the user being substantial and thus available for mundane counterattacks.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabal