Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: Modern anti-magic measures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Cameras. Cameras. Cameras.

sure the mages can take them out... at which point you know the mages are coming. If at all possible, don't meet them face to face.
This^^^.

I've been citing Jim Butcher's Dresden Files a lot lately, but I think I'll do it once more tonight. At one point in those stories, a powerful wizard points out to a professional mercenary that killing him would expose the merc to his 'death curse'. To which the merc simply reminds him that all he has to do is shoot him from a distance with a precise long-range rifle, so he doesn't have any warning at all.

Gas weapons could work, so could electrified surfaces concealed amid ordinary metal surfaces and items. As othes have noted, sonics and blinding lights could be useful. A simple drugged dart might have its applications, if it made the mage woozy. So could 'contact toxins'.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
starslayer

Mage light in all the wrong places and dark/dim rooms.

Putting a sun-intensity mage light behind a fan will turn the room into a horrible flash-bang intensity strobe going off all the time, while non-mages will not notice at all.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Mage light in all the wrong places and dark/dim rooms.

Putting a sun-intensity mage light behind a fan will turn the room into a horrible flash-bang intensity strobe going off all the time, while non-mages will not notice at all.
That probably only works once unless Bright Vision is a secret. Mundane tinted goggles could protect too.

You might make a net profit keeping up Mage Light v. Bright Vision but your side's magic is limited by Thresh too. Better to make the other side spend Thresh to counter mundane threats.

If I were in this world I doubt I'd cast any spells except Halt Aging and I wouldn't be able to keep many people perpetually young even with that. To the patient, extreme longevity is an unbeatable advantage.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That probably only works once unless Bright Vision is a secret. Mundane tinted goggles could protect too.

You might make a net profit keeping up Mage Light v. Bright Vision but your side's magic is limited by Thresh too. Better to make the other side spend Thresh to counter mundane threats.

If I were in this world I doubt I'd cast any spells except Halt Aging and I wouldn't be able to keep many people perpetually young even with that. To the patient, extreme longevity is an unbeatable advantage.
As long as stock enchanting exists- mage light is a cheap enchantment. As well seeing people wearing sunglasses in otherwise only moderately lit areas means you know they are a mage. Further sunglasses won't protect against the strobe effect, and bright vision (if they know it) is going to start chipping away at that mage's threshold.

It is not in and of itself a perfect defense, but is a cheap and useful addition.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's nice to stay young or at least middle age, but it's better to do so in health. I wonder if med school could make you a better healer-mage.

People who had incurable diseases might come to somebody they thought was a doctor more likely than somebody they thought was a new-age quack.

Plus, it would help you increase your rates for your rich clients if you could cure diseases as well. Who wants to be 35 while having cancer and arthritis?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
It's nice to stay young or at least middle age, but it's better to do so in health. I wonder if med school could make you a better healer-mage.

People who had incurable diseases might come to somebody they thought was a doctor more likely than somebody they thought was a new-age quack.

Plus, it would help you increase your rates for your rich clients if you could cure diseases as well. Who wants to be 35 while having cancer and arthritis?
Doesn't Halt Aging defer age related debilitation rolls?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
benz72

On a separate note, there are two issues. Detection and action.

IMO the single biggest asset modernity brings to detection is a Big Data analysis. If you want to find those rival mages a couple of coders with a mainframe are a huge plus.
Those are the guys who can tell you the name of the seemingly unrelated 30 people who meet every sabat on an intersection of ley lines (or whatever) that identifies them as your rival coven. Inteligence Analysis, Computer Programming and Mathematics (Applied) are probably the most useful skills in this department.

ONce they are identified there are any number of ways such as those listed above that could be used to impair or harm the ones who have been found.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
It doesn't matter how old you are if you're hit by a truck...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
What about diseases that aren't age-related? There are all sorts of diseases that are nasty and painful and aren't age-related.

Plus as somebody said lower, you could always be hit by a truck, which I suppose could do all sorts of nasty things if it doesn't kill you outright.

I just wish in the real world I could buy unaging and unkillable 3. :)

Other skills I could learn as I outlive my enemies.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
What about diseases that aren't age-related? There are all sorts of diseases that are nasty and painful and aren't age-related.

Plus as somebody said lower, you could always be hit by a truck, which I suppose could do all sorts of nasty things if it doesn't kill you outright.

Halt Aging has a prereq of 8 Healing spells. You'd probably have to go out of your way to not put Cure Disease on that list.

Getting hit by a truck is very difficult to defend against with magic. You'd need something like Phase.

The nitpickers may amend my comment to "I doubt I'd _regularly_ cast any spell besides Halt Aging.". You can put in exceptions for emergencies but with magic limited by Thresh you work with the general principle that you don't do anything with magic that you can do with mundane means. You can be far more free with regular FP Magic.

Tags
magic, thaumatology