Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Making a diffgerent magic system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakman217 View Post
They can be found naturally and mined like any other resource. I'm sorry if I didn't say that explicitly. There is only one way a person can make them, but there is more than one way to get them. They would be common enough that everyone could technically have a small one. They would be like cars in our world. Fairly expensive to get, but everyone just about everyone has one.
ahh... yeah, that changes everything. Actually, it turns them into one of the most universal currencies for long distance training ever.

How are you planning to do the time limit or energy cost? I'd tend to make them trade off poorly: some things just take energy, some things just take time, and some things just take skill.

For the mana points, if you start out with ST*5, the cost for more points should be under two, as anything else just encourages buying ST. I'd say 3 or 2 CP gets you another 5 MP, (I'm comparing to FP and HP). Enforce limits similar to HP and FP though, making sure its fairly close to ST. Note this will encourage high ST characters unless you up the cost of ST. It also makes it so ST is no longer the sum of its parts (you may or may not care about that).

I'd personally charge 12 points for ST, with 2 points giving you 5 MP, but I'm a mathematical stick in the mud about these things.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
Jakman217

Quote:
How are you planning to do the time limit or energy cost? I'd tend to make them trade off poorly: some things just take energy, some things just take time, and some things just take skill.
I would probably say that instant attacks would take energy, while drawn out spells take time to cast.

Quote:
For the mana points, if you start out with ST*5, the cost for more points should be under two, as anything else just encourages buying ST. I'd say 3 or 2 CP gets you another 5 MP, (I'm comparing to FP and HP). Enforce limits similar to HP and FP though, making sure its fairly close to ST. Note this will encourage high ST characters unless you up the cost of ST. It also makes it so ST is no longer the sum of its parts (you may or may not care about that).

I'd personally charge 12 points for ST, with 2 points giving you 5 MP, but I'm a mathematical stick in the mud about these things.
That does make sense, having MP cost 3 points for 5, although, I don't know if bumping ST up would be a good idea. Having it forced between 15 points plus or minus the given amount I think would be a fair amount.
What do you think of switching it to HT instead of ST?
Jakman217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakman217 View Post
That does make sense, having MP cost 3 points for 5, although, I don't know if bumping ST up would be a good idea. Having it forced between 15 points plus or minus the given amount I think would be a fair amount.

What do you think of switching it to HT instead of ST?
HT is about how healthy or well built something is. A cockroach has a high HT (12+, depending on your game), while sickly whale has a low HT (8 or so, depending on the whale). Mass is based on ST.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
Jakman217

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
HT is about how healthy or well built something is. (......). Mass is based on ST.
Ok, that makes sense. MP being based off of HT seems to make a little more sense to me. Because the Hyperboreans, a lost precursor race, are very magically adept, yet physically weaker than humans.
Jakman217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, make, universe