Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
ismenis

Default Flash step on the cheap

I searched the forum trying to find ways of building the flash step power, and at first I thought slapping some modifiers on warp should do, but then I realised that while blink can be done once per turn as a free action (and the destination is random, which is problematic), the biggest problem for me is that by RAW you cannot use warp as a step. So what else can I do?

Then I came up with the idea of adding "no signature (25%)" to enhanced move (using all three cosmic enhancements as per p.9 of Power Ups 4 - Enhancements), which basically means your movement is invisible. So far so good.

The problem is, the enhancement is only worth 5 points per level of enhanced move, not to mention that you can get half levels for it, which is too cheap for what can be considered invisibility with a big accessibility limitation. On the other hand, if by RAW putting that enhancement on your melee attacks can turn them invisible (which I think is munchkin, but then again there are lots of counter measures for it), what should the game mechanics for "invisible movement" be, other than making the character look awesome while doing it (although that is the main reason why I want to build the flash step power: looking awesome)?

Unlike the controversial "cannot wear armor" limitation, this modifier costs more points the more powerful the ability is, so it would be great if the game mechanics can somehow scale to that. Maybe link it up to the range/speed table? Any ideas?
ismenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:10 AM   #2
Warlockco

Default Re: Flash step on the cheap

For a Warp based Flash Step some modifiers are:
Line of Sight Only (AFAIK you need to see where you are going)
Must Cross Through Intervening Terrain (AFIAK you must cross the distance, its not an actual teleport)
not sure of the values on these
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:18 AM   #3
ismenis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post
For a Warp based Flash Step some modifiers are:
Line of Sight Only (AFAIK you need to see where you are going)
Must Cross Through Intervening Terrain (AFIAK you must cross the distance, its not an actual teleport)
not sure of the values on these
The second one is -20%, from GURPS Horror. I'd put the first one at -20% too, based on reversed sense-based.

The biggest beef I have with warp is that there is no enhancement for turning it into a step, at least not in RAW. As of now you need a Move / Ready maneuver to use it, which means you can't attack in the same turn unless you have ATR.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:24 AM   #4
David Johnston2

Yeah that seems like a stretch. Me, I'd just get Invisibility (Only in the middle of the move). You could use it to do a runaround for a surprise attack or run out of sight to end your move behind cover.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:26 AM   #5
ismenis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Yeah that seems like a stretch. Me, I'd just get Invisibility (Only in the middle of the move). You could use it to do a runaround for a surprise attack or run out of sight to end your move behind cover.
Which brings the question of how severe the limitation should be. At 10% (accessibility: must step. From Powers), the power makes you invisible as long as you step, and you remain invisible for your entire turn. How many % should the limitation "must step, and only invisible during the step" be?

Going back to adding stealthy to enhanced move, how about making it an enhancement that provides the following benefits:

Immunity to trips
Add level of enhanced move (round down) to your moving speed as penalty to hit you with missile weapons
Look awesome (priceless)

Last edited by ismenis; 07-25-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:39 AM   #6
Warlockco

One isn't really invisible with Flash Step, since technically someone with Enhanced Time Sense, can track and follow someone that is using Flash Step.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:47 AM   #7
ismenis

Quote:
One isn't really invisible with Flash Step, since technically someone with Enhanced Time Sense, can track and follow someone that is using Flash Step.
That is also something that makes basing it on invisible / obscure level 10 too expensive, not to mention not having the right "feel".

While 5 points / level for immunity to a single MA technique and a conditional -1 penalty for missile weapons to hit you seems a bit expensive. AND still doesn't resolve the "someone with ETS should be immune to whatever effects this has" issue.

Last edited by ismenis; 07-25-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:46 AM   #8
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismenis View Post
Then I came up with the idea of adding "no signature (25%)" to enhanced move (using all three cosmic enhancements as per p.9 of Power Ups 4 - Enhancements), which basically means your movement is invisible. So far so good.
What do you mean, all three cosmic enhancements? Can you post exactly what the advantage looks like ATM?
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #9
ismenis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
What do you mean, all three cosmic enhancements? Can you post exactly what the advantage looks like ATM?
Basically by giving enhanced move the cosmic enhancements (50% apiece) listed below, your basic move score is replaced by your enhanced move score:

1. Complete maneuverability
2. Instantaneous acceleration
3. Retained speed

See Power Ups 4 - Enhancements for details. On top of these, I thought I'd add no signature (25%) to it, which by RAW means the ability (to move, in this case) is invisible. The problem with this approach is shown below, at the end of......

A summary of each possible approach for building the power, and the respective problems:

Warp
The advantage that seems to be the best fit, limited by "only places you could access, -20%", and probably range limit. Enhancements probably include blink, reliable, no strain and carrying capacity.

Biggest/only problem is that the wording in Basic seems to prohibit using warp as a step instead of a move. In Powers, warp is described as requiring a ready. If it can't be used as a step, and doesn't do what it does in Horrors (which isn't what a flash step is meant to do), then it's basically paying 100+ CPs for an ability that looks awesome, but absolutely useless. Your character can move there in a turn anyway, there's no reason or practical benefits for warping.

Invisibility / obscure 10
Does the job too well. There needs to be a modifier that makes it only work during, but not before or after, moving or stepping. I'm eyeballing it at 40%, since it is a pretty stiff accessibility limitation. Maybe another 5% limitation: does not work on people with ETS and similar abilities.

No signature enhancement on enhanced move
No clear definition of what it's supposed to do, or even whether it is legal by RAW, and it is only 5 CPs per level, which feels like it is too cheap even for a very limited form of invisible. On another note, the same CP cost can, by RAW, make all your unarmed attacks invisible, and the effects of that are equally unclear. How does it affect an enemy when your character is visible, but the punches / kicks aren't?

Actually, if it doesn't get answered here, I might start a thread asking "What does the Stealthy Attack imbuement actually do?"

Last edited by ismenis; 07-25-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
True. But that's a matter of adding "Not versus ETS".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote