Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2016, 11:00 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Increased Life Support (Radioactive)? How radioactive am I? Am I immune to myself?

Hey, all.

This is my first non-Quick-Question post in a while. I'm tinkering around with some old ideas of mine. Namely, magic equals (weird) radiation. I was trying to create creatures that are radioactive and/or that rely/feed on radioactivity.

Increased Life Support (p. B139) says that you can be radioactive or require radiation! Neat! «Hmm, there are no rules here about that,» I thought to myself. «That must just be an oversight. But oh! There have recently been so many books that cover radiation. Maybe one has more info on— Nope.» But it's possible that I'm missing something.

So, if I have Increased Life Support (Radioactive), how radioactive am I? Mildly? Is that 1 rad/hour? 1 rad/week? 1 rad/month? Should I take Lifebane? What if I'm severely radioactive? Do I need Lifebane now? Should I take an Innate Attack? Am I immune to my own radiation? If not, how do I become immune to my own radiation? Wait, are my buddies of the same radioactive species immune to my radiation too?

Wait, but what if my Increased Life Support (Radioactive) means that I require a radioactive environment? How much radiation do I need? Does the radiation that I require also hurt me, or am I immune to radiation? Or should I take Radiation Protection? Or should I take Regeneration to heal my necessary radiation? Would this just be better modeled as a Dependency?

The idea is that the Spirit World is radioactive because mana is just (weird) radiation. Spirits are radioactive too, but not too much. A lot of the Spirits love nature, so they don't want to outright destroy it. Although, they do understand the balance between life and death. On this particular planet, we also have a Proto-Human species that are bonded to the Spirits by the Creators. So, they feed off of the radiation, which helps them power their magic, and then they come to actually be radiation-dependent. Maybe they don't need radiation all the time, they might just need it once-in-a-while. I don't know what's somewhat reasonable (without too much of outright hand-waving and yelling "because magic" again and again). Although, maybe the environment on the planet is somewhat radiation-resistant too.

Any ideas are helpful! I'm looking for general solutions and my-situation-specific solutions.

Hopefully I can attract some of the people who have worked on those supplements and articles that have been heavily dealing with radiation.

Thanks in advance! Y'all are great.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
VariousRen

Default Re: Increased Life Support (Radioactive)? How radioactive am I? Am I immune to myself

The general answer is you get what you pay for. If you put out enough radiation to give people close to you a dose buy that as an innate attack, with the appropriate limitations since you can't turn it off.

If you require radiation as part of your life support, and you also put out radiation, you need a source of radiation separate from yourself to survive (otherwise you don't really need life support, at worst a quirk). You would be immune to your own radiation unless you took a trait saying you are not (Something like Terminally Ill, not sure how you would give yourself a constant radiation dose). You aren't resistant to the radiation given off from others of your race by default (But enough people together may sustain your life support requirement!), but you can definitely take complete resistance to radiation as normal and apply a limitation (Only own race, -??%. The price depends on how common your race is, and how radioactive they are).

Last edited by VariousRen; 05-28-2016 at 11:32 PM.
VariousRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:16 AM   #3
Curmudgeon

Default Re: Increased Life Support (Radioactive)? How radioactive am I? Am I immune to myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai
Increased Life Support (p. B139) says that you can be radioactive or require radiation! Neat! «Hmm, there are no rules here about that,» I thought to myself. «That must just be an oversight. But oh! There have recently been so many books that cover radiation. Maybe one has more info on— Nope.» But it's possible that I'm missing something.

So, if I have Increased Life Support (Radioactive), how radioactive am I? Mildly? Is that 1 rad/hour? 1 rad/week? 1 rad/month? Should I take Lifebane? What if I'm severely radioactive? Do I need Lifebane now? Should I take an Innate Attack? Am I immune to my own radiation? If not, how do I become immune to my own radiation? Wait, are my buddies of the same radioactive species immune to my radiation too?

Wait, but what if my Increased Life Support (Radioactive) means that I require a radioactive environment? How much radiation do I need? Does the radiation that I require also hurt me, or am I immune to radiation? Or should I take Radiation Protection? Or should I take Regeneration to heal my necessary radiation? Would this just be better modeled as a Dependency?

The idea is that the Spirit World is radioactive because mana is just (weird) radiation. Spirits are radioactive too, but not too much. A lot of the Spirits love nature, so they don't want to outright destroy it. Although, they do understand the balance between life and death. On this particular planet, we also have a Proto-Human species that are bonded to the Spirits by the Creators. So, they feed off of the radiation, which helps them power their magic, and then they come to actually be radiation-dependent. Maybe they don't need radiation all the time, they might just need it once-in-a-while. I don't know what's somewhat reasonable (without too much of outright hand-waving and yelling "because magic" again and again). Although, maybe the environment on the planet is somewhat radiation-resistant too.

Any ideas are helpful! I'm looking for general solutions and my-situation-specific solutions.
As noted by VariousRen, you get what you pay for. That said, some things may need clarification.

Increased Life Support (Radioactive) seems to be giving you a choice, you can either be radioactive or you can require radiation and whichever you chose is worth -10 points. There might be some overlap causing a reduction, but I'd be willing to say that being radioactive and requiring radiation are two separate -10 point disadvantages, that are worth -20 points when taken together.

The implication for other types of Increased Life Support is that you're immune to the other effects of your condition, other than the requirement for Increased Life Support, or somewhat more accurately, you don't require immunity because it's what's normal for you. Increased Life Support is an Exotic Disadvantage and as such is intended for use on racial templates, more so than for use on individual character sheets, so members of your species should find the condition normal as well and be equally unaffected by it. They might be susceptible to an offensive use of the condition but I'd think that would require buying an appropriate attack.

I think you're severely underestimating your radioactivity, even at 1 rad/hr. Increased Life Support (Intense Heat) puts the environmental temperatures at a minimum of 200°F and human skin starts to burn at 160°F. Increased Life Support (Intense Cold) isn't quite as bad at 0°F, but is still potentially lethal to an unprotected human. Both conditions, like radioactive, are -10 point conditions. That should indicate that your radiation should be somewhere in the fairly quickly lethal range. I'd lean toward the 81-160 rad/hr. band myself, but you could go lower. Given the lethality indicated, I wouldn't be comfortable with anything below 21 rads/hr.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:40 AM   #4
spacemonkey

Increased Life Support (Radioactive) indicates that YOU have special needs, not that those around you do. The radioactivity affects you only, just because it's the only ILS that makes you a generator rather than needing an environment doesn't change the intent of the disadvantage. IMO you need a technological or medical solution to low grade constant radiation damage being inflicted on yourself, rather than a rad suit to protect others from your condition.

Quote:
Increased Life Support represents the logistical inconvenience of special life support requirements...
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
The general answer is you get what you pay for. If you put out enough radiation to give people close to you a dose buy that as an innate attack, with the appropriate limitations since you can't turn it off.

If you require radiation as part of your life support, and you also put out radiation, you need a source of radiation separate from yourself to survive (otherwise you don't really need life support, at worst a quirk). You would be immune to your own radiation unless you took a trait saying you are not (Something like Terminally Ill, not sure how you would give yourself a constant radiation dose). You aren't resistant to the radiation given off from others of your race by default (But enough people together may sustain your life support requirement!), but you can definitely take complete resistance to radiation as normal and apply a limitation (Only own race, -??%. The price depends on how common your race is, and how radioactive they are).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As noted by VariousRen, you get what you pay for. That said, some things may need clarification.

Increased Life Support (Radioactive) seems to be giving you a choice, you can either be radioactive or you can require radiation and whichever you chose is worth -10 points. There might be some overlap causing a reduction, but I'd be willing to say that being radioactive and requiring radiation are two separate -10 point disadvantages, that are worth -20 points when taken together.

The implication for other types of Increased Life Support is that you're immune to the other effects of your condition, other than the requirement for Increased Life Support, or somewhat more accurately, you don't require immunity because it's what's normal for you. Increased Life Support is an Exotic Disadvantage and as such is intended for use on racial templates, more so than for use on individual character sheets, so members of your species should find the condition normal as well and be equally unaffected by it. They might be susceptible to an offensive use of the condition but I'd think that would require buying an appropriate attack.

I think you're severely underestimating your radioactivity, even at 1 rad/hr. Increased Life Support (Intense Heat) puts the environmental temperatures at a minimum of 200°F and human skin starts to burn at 160°F. Increased Life Support (Intense Cold) isn't quite as bad at 0°F, but is still potentially lethal to an unprotected human. Both conditions, like radioactive, are -10 point conditions. That should indicate that your radiation should be somewhere in the fairly quickly lethal range. I'd lean toward the 81-160 rad/hr. band myself, but you could go lower. Given the lethality indicated, I wouldn't be comfortable with anything below 21 rads/hr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Increased Life Support (Radioactive) indicates that YOU have special needs, not that those around you do. The radioactivity affects you only, just because it's the only ILS that makes you a generator rather than needing an environment doesn't change the intent of the disadvantage. IMO you need a technological or medical solution to low grade constant radiation damage being inflicted on yourself, rather than a rad suit to protect others from your condition.
This all makes enough sense to me.

So, it sounds like, for my case, I might just be better off with a very small Innate Attack. But I don't know how to make such a minor Innate Attack that it only does something small like 1 rad/hour. Maybe something like that should just be quirk. That would be -1 point for 1 rad/hour-ish vs -10 points for 21+ rads/hr.

Then, I guess my question on the other side of things is how to price the Dependency. I figured it'd be by dose size. A 1-rad dose might be very common while a 100-rad dose might be uncommon, etc. If I have that as a Dependency, am I immune to [the harmful effects of] the dosage?

Last but not least, is it okay to take both Innate Attack (Costs Rad, -x%) [x] as well as Regeneration (Radiation Only, -0%) [x], or is that cheating? Similarly, what if I took Mana Generator and Dependency (Mana)? Those situations seem tricky.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
This all makes enough sense to me.

So, it sounds like, for my case, I might just be better off with a very small Innate Attack. But I don't know how to make such a minor Innate Attack that it only does something small like 1 rad/hour. Maybe something like that should just be quirk. That would be -1 point for 1 rad/hour-ish vs -10 points for 21+ rads/hr.
Toxic Attack with Radiation, Melee C, Aura (requires Melee C), Area Effect, Only Does 1 Point, and Onset: Exposure Time. That should get your Innate Attack done.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Toxic Attack with Radiation, Melee C, Aura (requires Melee C), Area Effect, Only Does 1 Point, and Onset: Exposure Time. That should get your Innate Attack done.
Onset: Exposure Time was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
Phantasm

Emanation on the toxic attack would probably be best. Radiation dissipates fast the farther from the source you are.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Emanation on the toxic attack would probably be best. Radiation dissipates fast the farther from the source you are.
Emanation doesn't make an attack weaker with distance by any means.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Emanation doesn't make an attack weaker with distance by any means.
Yeah, I think you mean Dissipating.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dependency, increased life support, radiation, radiation protection, regeneration