Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #11
wolf90

Default Re: Opinions Wanted re _OGRE In Space_ Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Why do I have this image of a Mk. V lazily floating through space to the tune of the Blue Danube waltz?
If you haven't read them, you need to read the "Old Guy" Chronicles!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
Macunaima

Seconding Old Guy! A must read for any Ogre fan!
Macunaima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
If you haven't read them, you need to read the "Old Guy" Chronicles!

D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macunaima View Post
Seconding Old Guy! A must read for any Ogre fan!
OK, I'll bite. Link to find them? :P
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #14
ColBosch

I keep seeing recommendations for those books, but I've also been told that I'm going to have to slog through some political opinions to get to the "good stuff." Be honest: how bad is it, on a scale of 1 to "For Us, the Living"?
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
43Supporter

Taking some of the questions and comments:

-- Indicating Vector Without Drawing On Map: In some of GDW's products (_Mayday_, for ex.), each ship had *two* counters -- one showed where the ship actually was, the other showed where it would be next turn if it didn't burn deltas. It worked, but one had to remember which counter was which; and it was vulnerable to what old-guard _Car Wars_ players called "arena hurricanes" :) .

Then there's the matter of a "Raid"/"Breakthrough" type of scenario, where each side has something like 15-20 units to keep track of (maybe not for very long, but...).

-- Units Moving Off-Map: For now, I'm going with "moving off-map counts as Eliminated"; I could put something together which allows a ship to return after an interval, but figuring said interval will be the cruncher (a "fighter" [GEV] will be able to return faster than a "gunboat" [HVY], but by how much?).

-- Map Coating: If I were to go to my FL FedEx/Kinko's, and ask them for a suitable coating, what should I be asking them for?

-- "A Mk. V drifting through space to "Blue Danube Waltz": This is actually more correct than you might realize -- as I have the History written, the first "combat spacecraft" built by the AIs were not much more than modified OGRE hulls, and not much has changed since then. (The same applies to Human combat craft -- the weapons are "recycled" nuclear cannon and laser designs from when Humans first decamped from the Solar System.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Taking some of the questions and comments:

-- Indicating Vector Without Drawing On Map: In some of GDW's products (_Mayday_, for ex.), each ship had *two* counters -- one showed where the ship actually was, the other showed where it would be next turn if it didn't burn deltas. It worked, but one had to remember which counter was which; and it was vulnerable to what old-guard _Car Wars_ players called "arena hurricanes" :) .

Then there's the matter of a "Raid"/"Breakthrough" type of scenario, where each side has something like 15-20 units to keep track of (maybe not for very long, but...).
Another use for glow-in-the-dark minis!
Old 03-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #17
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
OK, I'll bite. Link to find them? :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I keep seeing recommendations for those books, but I've also been told that I'm going to have to slog through some political opinions to get to the "good stuff." Be honest: how bad is it, on a scale of 1 to "For Us, the Living"?
I searched for "Old Guy Cybertank" on Amazon - all six books came up. I got them on my Kindle, but there are a variety of options. I assume they can be found elsewhere too.

Re: political opinion, it's definitely there, but in more of a tongue-in-cheek way than anything. Honestly, if you remove the term "Neo-liberal economists" from the books and replace it with some generic political party name, I doubt anyone would have an issue because it's so absurdly portrayed. Despite the title of one book and the term, I had no idea as to the authors views until I researched it to find out what the hubbub was about. Generally, the books are just really entertaining reads.

All this said, I do NOT wish this thread (nor any, really) to become a debate on political views, and will actively shut it down if there is any drift in that direction.

Enough of this tangent - we're discussing vector movement with Ogres in spaaaaaaaccccceee!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #18
Macunaima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
The guy hates neoliberal economics and parodies them. Given that I hang to the left, I find it hilarious. If Viennese economicists are your thing, you might hate it. Frankly, I don’t find it any worse than Heinlein and the author is a lot more self-aware of his political prejudices than Heilein ever was. He’s also pretty libertarian, so if you’re what passes for a conservative in the U.S. and you don’t pay much attention to the economic theories that float the Republican leadership’s boats, you’ll probably be fairly happy with his politics.
Macunaima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #19
ColBosch

I'll give the Old Guy books a shot, thanks. So enough on that thread drift!

I seem to recall several manufacturers offering roll-up hex maps specifically for dry-erase markers, but I'll damned if I can remember who exactly. Are these just not available anymore?
Old 03-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #20
Mack_JB

One reviewer says the Old Guy stuff channels Firesign Theatre. Now that can't be bad!
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote