Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
smurf
Banned

Default How to photosynthesise (Knights of Sidonia)

Damn that Netflix

I had been watching Knights_of_Sidonia

Humans have been genetically modified so that they only eat once a week but have to photosynthesise every day. Maybe a period of 1 hour.

My impression is Doesn't Eat/Drink with a mitagator or some sort of 'Hive bound' thing?

How would you model it?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: How to photosynthesise (Knights of Sidonia)

How restrictive, exactly, is the photosynthesis period? Do they have just lie out in the sun? Have to get naked? Does the intensity of the sunlight matter? Do they actually have to put down something like roots, that would be even more restrictive than simply staying still? Most of these could be represented by Temporary Disadvantage or Nuisance Effect limitations on Doesn't Eat or Drink (and a specifically plant-based photosynthesis ability probably limits Doesn't Eat or Drink with "Needs to Drink", probably a -30% limitation).

For Temporary Disadvantage limitations, I'd say that Doesn't Eat or Drink is only being "used" at the times you'd normally need to be eating. So an otherwise-normal human who photosynthesizes that involves putting down roots, leaving them temporarily immobile, would have 3 1/2-hour periods they'd have to do so per day, during which the Temporary Disadvantage (No Legs: Sessile) would have its effects.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
My impression is Doesn't Eat/Drink with a mitagator or some sort of 'Hive bound' thing?

How would you model it?
Hm. It's basically an exotic diet -- instead of spending half an hour 3x/day to eat meals, you spend half an hour 3x/day on sunlight. Based on slow eater and extra sleep, having to spend time 'eating' is worth about -2 points per hour, or -3 points in this case (-15%); the fact that you require sunlight is probably another -10-20% accessibility.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
How restrictive, exactly, is the photosynthesis period? Do they have just lie out in the sun? Have to get naked? Does the intensity of the sunlight matter? Do they actually have to put down something like roots, that would be even more restrictive than simply staying still? Most of these could be represented by Temporary Disadvantage or Nuisance Effect limitations on Doesn't Eat or Drink (and a specifically plant-based photosynthesis ability probably limits Doesn't Eat or Drink with "Needs to Drink", probably a -30% limitation).

For Temporary Disadvantage limitations, I'd say that Doesn't Eat or Drink is only being "used" at the times you'd normally need to be eating. So an otherwise-normal human who photosynthesizes that involves putting down roots, leaving them temporarily immobile, would have 3 1/2-hour periods they'd have to do so per day, during which the Temporary Disadvantage (No Legs: Sessile) would have its effects.
They have to get naked, and they have nudity taboos, because amine. They don't put down roots, but do seem to be torpid, IIRC (I haven't watched it in a couple of years).

The show is definitely interesting, basically Battlestar Galactica crossed with Attack on Titan.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote