Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2021, 05:31 AM   #1
Been

Default Introducing Equipment

Hi, I am putting together a game set in Cyberpunk 2077's night city.

To set the ground work I am putting together a list of templates based off the 3rd ed Gurps Cyberpunk and The various iterations of the Cyberpunk game, as well as the the various Gangs, Co-operations, and the NCPD using Boardrooms and Curia. on top of that adding in cyberpunk specific versions of general advantages and disadvantages.

I was going to put these in a little(ish) doc that I could print for players.

Where I have come a cropper is with equipment, due to the genre it is going to span High Tech, Ultra Tech, and Bio Tech, with added smatterings of Tactical shooting and gun fu.

On top of that I was also going to through in bespoke cybernetics, as well as a wider choice of guns and armour using tweeked versions of the Veh weapons rules and the armour articles form Pyramid.

I was wondering how best to present my curated equipment list, should I just do my created equipment in a Doc then give the players access to the tech books and say what is off limits? I am thinking this may lead to rules lawyering about what they can and can't have.

OR

Do I put the equipment from the books in the bespoke equipment doc. In which case do I do that as a simple table with page ref's to the books, or as a brief statement.

How have you guys approached this in your games.
Been is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:17 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Introducing Equipment

Back in the days of D&D, we all had the standard list of equipment in the rule book, but we understood that it wasn't a complete list, that we could buy other things, and that the GM would judge their availability, cost, and quality.

With this in mind, it should be fair to present players with a list of preapproved equipment that the GM thinks is likely to be asked for, with the understanding that anything beyond the list is up to the GM as to availability, cost, and quality. The difference in GURPS is that it offers you a bunch of nice books with extensive equipment options. The GM should say, "In addition to the list I've given you, you can acquire stuff listed in these books, but anything you take from there must be approved by me, and I may impose some alterations." There is no rules abuse if you subject every choice to the GM's approval.

The list of preapproved equipment should stick to only the most obvious stuff. To add stuff that the players aren't sure to want is to do lots of extra work that you don't need to do.

You can help guide players to the right choices with parameters. Specify the maximum TL of the equipment they can choose. List the lowest LC at which they can buy equipment, and demand appropriate backgrounds for anything lower (Military Rank, Rank in the thieves' guild, a Patron who can get you these things, Unusual Background in which you come from a world where the item is more freely available, whatever). Specify the technology path or paths (Ultra-Tech, pp. 8-11) the world has taken, and disallow any technologies that fall outside the path(s). Doing all this will nicely narrow down the players' choices, meaning you can probably approve most of their choices.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
bocephus

A fair question would probably be "What is the familiarity of the players with the setting and your take on the setting?"

If they arent terribly familiar with the setting you might also find your list serving some examples of things not in the books but fitting your vision of the world. Ya know ideas of how things can go together.

Sometimes its enough to just bracket things. Example - All +1 enchantments are available and utility enchantments effecting leather and cloth. Weapon enchantments other than a simple +1 or metal armor enchantments are controlled by the crowns and will need GM approval (likely some kind of rank/Status/background).
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:14 PM   #4
Black Leviathan

I think as long as your bespoke equipment is organized and easy to use it's preferable to rifling through the books at askance. But once you decide you're going to make your own equipment list you're on the hook for everything conceivable.

I ran games in the Fading Suns setting and their technology is changed enough that I wanted to build an equipment list. It's about 26 pages.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:46 PM   #5
rkbrown419

Putting the equipment from the books into your equipment list has the advantage that you can modify them to suit your setting. For example you could take a slugthrower pistol and turn it into several different brands with different prices some being more likely to malfunction others with an extra accuracy bonus due to better sights. Some might cost more (or less) not because they have any particular advantage in the stats but they have an in universe reputation and might occasionally give a reaction bonus (or penalty) from gun afficianados. The same can be applied to other equipment. Different brands of scanning equipent might have bonuses to different types of scans.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #6
The Colonel

How about a pseudo-RP method - whilst actually RPing a shopping trip can be tedious, have the players tell you what they want to get in general terms and then explain what is for sale - same as in real life you figure out what you want, look it up on the web and try to decide which version you prefer.
Of course, if what they want is illegal, or restricted, there might be a lot more RP involved - hell, they might even have to earn access to a corporate mallplex before they can get their hands on the best legitimate gear: accessing a ripperdoc or an off the books arms dealer is an adventure in itself.
It might suddenly be worth pulling corporate jobs just for the shopping opportunities.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote