Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2020, 02:30 AM   #11
Michele

Default Re: Tank vs. Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The I-go might even have riveted armor. Put a 12-lb cast iron (not lead) cannonball in the middle of one of the frontal plates and said plate will probably radically deform and the rivets would pop loose explosively. A serious danger to the crew.

You might or might not get a neat circular hole in the armor but that armor was not but to handle that cannonball.
I agree, and low-quality armor (common on such low-end early-war designs) when subjected to such extreme stress without being pierced, will probably spall on the inside too. So, even if it's not riveted, you have metal bits flying in a quite cramped compartment. If they don't hit the crew, they may well hit the front transmission or the steering or some other critical component.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:01 AM   #12
johndallman
Night Watchman

The tricky part will be hitting. The gun crew are very vulnerable to the tank's machine gun(s), and if the tank is zig-zagging, getting a hit will be very hard. So a close-range ambush seems necessary.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:24 AM   #13
The Colonel

Thanks - I had visions of the cannon being hidden in ambush in some Chinese city, waiting on a tank which is cheerfully ambling along a street chasing away men with no anti-tank weapons, at which point either a screen is dropped or a corner rounded and some ancient cannon lets fly.
I'm pretty sure that there were muzzle loader cannon of this kind still kicking about in China in the late 1930s - they would, of course, be doomed on the battlefield (as the Afghans found out in 1919) and only likely to hit a tank by accident, but I thought ambush might work.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:53 AM   #14
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Thanks - I had visions of the cannon being hidden in ambush in some Chinese city, waiting on a tank which is cheerfully ambling along a street chasing away men with no anti-tank weapons, at which point either a screen is dropped or a corner rounded and some ancient cannon lets fly.
I'm pretty sure that there were muzzle loader cannon of this kind still kicking about in China in the late 1930s - they would, of course, be doomed on the battlefield (as the Afghans found out in 1919) and only likely to hit a tank by accident, but I thought ambush might work.
maybe from behind.

if nothing else you don't have to actually destroy or immobilise the tank to retreat or even get the crew to bail out and run.

Say you a commander of Japanese type 95 tank pursuing lightly armoured Chinese troops done the Street and suddenly a Cannon ball bangs into you. Only you don't actually know it's some C19th cannon at that point. What you know is something much heavier than you were expecting just made a very load noise hitting you.

Are you going to assume that it was a C19th Cannonball, or maybe those Chinese chaps have got hold of something more modern and dangerous to ambush you with and you just got lucky with their first shot.

Your tank's not great for communicating with the outside world (likely no Radio certainly no tank telephone, you communicate with the other crew by switching lights on and off, and it's you in a hand moved turret)

However what you are is pretty fast so maybe the smart move is to get out of there

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-25-2020 at 01:52 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #15
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
What you know is something much heavier than you were expecting just made a very load noise hitting you.

[...]
maybe the smart move is to get out of there
There's definitely that, too.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
. . . waiting on a tank which is cheerfully ambling along a street chasing away men with no anti-tank weapons, at which point either a screen is dropped or a corner rounded and some ancient cannon lets fly.
Consider carefully if you want your PCs lose with this kind of tank, which may well shorten their life expectancy. If you can arrange to hit it in the rear on the right, that's the engine compartment on a Type 95. That isn't proof against ordinary small arms, so a canon hit should immobilise the tank thoroughly.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #17
cvannrederode

I think that in any event, the terminal ballistics of a large, soft iron ball at low velocity (comparatively) will be very different that those of a higher speed, conical, hardened penetrator.

It won't be penetration, so much as energy being transferred through, with deformation and spalling happening.

So...more akin to a HESH round hit that a HEAT round?
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:17 AM   #18
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
I think that in any event, the terminal ballistics of a large, soft iron ball at low velocity (comparatively) will be very different that those of a higher speed, conical, hardened penetrator.

It won't be penetration, so much as energy being transferred through, with deformation and spalling happening.
Cast iron is pretty hard, and if you shoot a 5400 g, 120 mm diameter projectile at most pre-WW II tanks at 450 m/s, I think it will go through at least one side. Some of those had 12 mm riveted armour on the best-protected areas.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
mr beer

If you can ambush the tank like this, you should be using Molotov cocktails as your follow up attack. Like many situations, surprise attacks become more interesting and enjoyable when they involve setting things alight.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #20
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
If you can ambush the tank like this, you should be using Molotov cocktails as your follow up attack. Like many situations, surprise attacks become more interesting and enjoyable when they involve setting things alight.
To quote Nickolas Moran when he does an exit drill from a tank, "Oh my God, the tank is on fire"

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cannon, tank