Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #21
malloyd

Default Re: How to cripple a WWII army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
If you want post-apocalyptic (but with lots of military vehicles around), which is the basic T2K setup, you probably want a whole bunch of people dead.
I suppose. Though the ocean is suddenly impassible does give you the units cut off from home all over the world effect T2K uses a lot of.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #22
jason taylor

Why not just look at historical campaigns and see how wwii armies get crippled?
Old 10-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #23
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, it does make an interesting setting. Whether it works for the purposes of the OP is less obvious. Also, does whatever it is spread to encompass all seas, or just one?

If you want post-apocalyptic (but with lots of military vehicles around), which is the basic T2K setup, you probably want a whole bunch of people dead. It might actually be amusing to have a zombie plague, though you don't want shambler type zombies, you want zombies that retain enough mental capacity to shoot weapons (and, presumably, do not spread the disease by biting people; most likely the zombies are just a side effect of the plague). This allows you to have a wide variety of "dungeons" full of this or that WWII unit, which have all turned into zombies.
How about just a super flu scenario that kills off billions without zombies? There's no need to shoehorn zombies into absolutely everything these days. There were apocalyptic horrors in the world before someone resurrected zombies in the mid-2000s. (As fitting as it might be there was no pun intended.)

The Stand by Stephen King has something like 99.99% of people on Earth dying (as in roughly 1:10,000 lived) from a bioengineered flu escaping an Army lab followed by a Biblical good versus evil showdown involving the survivors. It takes place sometime around the late 1970s, but nothing in your scenario is stopping a Nazi lab headed by Dr. Mengele from doing TL6/7 bioengineering to the Spanish Flu or something equally nefarious.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #24
smurf
Banned

What exactly are the demons?

Apart from stranded units with: busted radios, out of fuel, no ammo, no support, no rapid fire, no indirect fire and low on food is not bad enough... there are mine fields, heavy fire power from the enemy (rapid fire weapons, tanks, indirect fire weapons and aerial support etc) being surrounded and outnumbered, being captured etc.

These demons again? Do they bleed and die that are somewhat other world ugly BEMs?

From an old 2000AD story
Fiends of the Eastern Front - vampires.

I think this has been done in:

Quote:
Other things that mix horror with the World Wars and/or feature undead Nazis include:
  • The Keep
  • The Bloody Red Baron
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • The Wolf's Hour
  • Shock Waves
  • Oasis of the Zombies
  • Zombie Lake
  • Deathwatch
  • Hellsing
  • The Bunker
  • 30 Days of Night: Red Snow
  • Dead Snow
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #25
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Why not just look at historical campaigns and see how wwii armies get crippled?
Winter? That's a threat in more than just knocking society over though

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #26
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Winter? That's a threat in more than just knocking society over though
To the Russians "General Winter" and "Marshall Mud" are just as powerful as the American "Admiral Pacific" and "Admiral Atlantic" and just as functionally unpassable.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #27
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by panton41 View Post
To the Russians "General Winter" and "Marshall Mud" are just as powerful as the American "Admiral Pacific" and "Admiral Atlantic" and just as functionally unpassable.
I was thinking of just that effect. I was thinking of applying it on a world wide scale: all of europe gets the russian treatment. The US has to stop and deal with all of the problems back home. Its a nasty way to cripple a WWII army -- that will do more than just cripple the army.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:46 AM   #28
Mr Frost

If you're using demons , have them use the weapon most associated with them in myth : malevolent influence and destructive gifts .

Let them gain the trust and control of the leadership on both sides {maybe they masquerade as angels to some and polymath patriots to others} and massively accelerate the development of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction ; then they use those leaders they now own {one might even be a demon wearing his skin ; make it Churchill for greater effect} to have both sides deploy the new weapons en mass .

There is your Twilight '45 .
Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 AM   #29
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by panton41 View Post
If you really want to cripple an army you might want to try Marshal Graziani or the British chap who was meant to be defending Malaya.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #30
Anders

Have a major meteorite slam into Yellowstone, causing the volcano to have a grand eruption. The middle part of the U.S. is now an ash-laden wasteland and the Americans have things to think about apart from war. You also get a Fimbulwinter (three years without a summer) causing world-wide starvation and anarchy. Have it cool enough and the Germans can walk to London.

Tags
wwii