Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Jürgen Hubert

Default Do the Archery rules cover this?

Take a look at this video.

While "Multiple Fast-Draw" from p. 103 in GURPS Martial Arts covers the act of drawing multiple arrows, I couldn't find anything about holding the excess arrows in the hand you are shooting with.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Dustin

Default Re: Do the Archery rules cover this?

I don't think existing rules cover this - GURPS rules all seem to assume that the archer is performing a full draw, maximum power shot. The highly skilled fellow in this video is (in my opinion) mostly trading power for speed, using partial draws and an intriguing, but awkward arrow-readying technique that I think would compromise his hand's ability to pull a 100-lb+ warbow.

Together, I might stat it as a Technique that reduces the penalty for Rapid Strike but penalizes effective ST while doing so.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Polydamas

I would just give a Fast-Draw bonus for arrows held in the hand. A half draw would give a big bonus to Fast-Draw (Arrow) but half ST.

Not all bows used in war had high (>100 lb) draw weights. The proof of the pudding will be if someone can reproduce those with moderate (50-100 lb) draw weight bows and get useful penetration. The last slide says that the bows have a 30-35 lb draw, and I hope that is at the short distance he draws to rather than full extension.

I think he needs to get a refund from whoever imported that Indian maille :)

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Polydamas

I also think that you can maintain a rate of fire of two arrows a second in GURPS with Dual-Weapon Attack (Bow) and Quick-Shooting Bows from MA p. 119, 120. Its a loose interpretation of DWA (Bow) but the effect is what matters. The trick is to stat the bonuses from carrying arrows in hand, using a short draw, and so on that let someone with a plausible skill do this outside of combat.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I would just give a Fast-Draw bonus for arrows held in the hand. A half draw would give a big bonus to Fast-Draw (Arrow) but half ST.
I'd let a half-draw offset some of the -6 penalty for Quick-Shooting Bows. As a technique, -2 damage (or -1 per die) would give a +4. As a Hard technique, you could raise it to full skill for [3], or [4] if you require an Unusual Training perk. As mentioned under Quick-Shooting, in a realistic setting this could be at an additional -4 if attempted in combat.

Fast Draw is a separate issue, IMO. The fact that he's holding the arrows in-hand (presumably getting a bonus to Fast Draw but a penalty to Bow) hints at where his expertise may lie.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
B9anders

I'd simply treat it as a bonus to fast-draw, using similar rules as in Martial Arts about fast-drawing weapons from different places and positions.

or alternatively, good use of the quick-swap perk.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I'd let a half-draw offset some of the -6 penalty for Quick-Shooting Bows. As a technique, -2 damage (or -1 per die) would give a +4. As a Hard technique, you could raise it to full skill for [3], or [4] if you require an Unusual Training perk. As mentioned under Quick-Shooting, in a realistic setting this could be at an additional -4 if attempted in combat.

Fast Draw is a separate issue, IMO. The fact that he's holding the arrows in-hand (presumably getting a bonus to Fast Draw but a penalty to Bow) hints at where his expertise may lie.
The interesting thing here is that GURPS makes it more a feat of Bow than Fast-Draw (Arrow). Drawing two arrows with one hand in a second is two rolls at +0 and -2, and having the arrows in hand must give at least +2, in addition to a large out-of-combat bonus. Quick-Shooting Bows with a Dual-Weapon Attack requires three Bow rolls at -6, -10, and -10 with a significant size and range/speed penalty (even 10 yards is -4), a multitasking penalty for holding the bow and spare arrows at the same time, and a large out-of-combat bonus.

I agree that this could be turned into some techniques. It might make a good Pyramid article ...

Old 12-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I agree that this could be turned into some techniques. It might make a good Pyramid article ...
Indeed. I stumbled across this video on RPGNet, where the original poster claimed that no RPG system covered this technique. To my chagrin, I discovered he was right about GURPS.

I am also interested in the alleged historical uses of this technique.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Hannes665

Default Bow - 3 shots in less than 2 turns - In real life.

Here is a video showing a modern day archer from Denmark shooting 3 shots and hitting in less than 2 seconds. He has been studying old archery books and "re-discovering" lost techniques for archers.

1. Does this some how wreck the current Gurps Bow skill(s)?
2. How do replicate this with current set of rules from all book available?
3. Does his skill level acquire WM Bow? If so why? If not why?

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Icelander

Default Re: Bow - 3 shots in less than 2 turns - In real life.

It's a Technique based on Rapid Strike, with a greatly reduced Dmg and Range in exchange for allowing double the RoF achievable with Fast-Draw and Quick-Shooting Bows.

It's not Weapon Master, because the arrows are not penetrating anywhere near twice as well, which is what would result from giving a +2 bonus to damage to a realistic bow.

Tags
archer, bow, bow art, martial arts, tactical shooting, weapon master