Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #1211
vicious Violence

Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC

This whole "money was stolen" bit seems a bit forced, I know the demon plan didn't work. It seem way too forced. We always set up camp, traps, and are watching over the carts.

We had great plans for the money, I understand it being "cursed" and is a cool idea. It feels way disappointing to suddenly have a rug pull.
vicious Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:38 PM   #1212
PumpkinLorica

Don’t punish us because we got critical success and survived the tpk and beat the chest’s traps.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:39 PM   #1213
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Did we not check to see if they were cursed? I thought I brought that possibility up.
When did you check? Link to the post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
If Bain is watching, how did they steal the gold?
The bad guy got a critical success on his Stealth rolls and succeeded on his Filch rolls.
The bad guy rolled his Observation and Traps rolls well. Also, he was the guy who futz'd with your rations those times. If memory serves, the dice roll logs should have it but you'll need to dig for it.

The copper and silver coins are not stolen.

The curse only applied to the copper coins that Lionel had - that was a deliberate trap.

Further info would violate OOC boundaries.

Last edited by ajardoor; 12-21-2021 at 11:43 PM.
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:01 AM   #1214
PumpkinLorica

I'm sorry gm, you saying he got critical success even after Bain's traps, his watch, the gokeks sitting on the gold, the light, Telrith fortifications and the luck rolls we have...... I'm not liking this, I think you violate my trust in you. If you insist Im calling quits because this is negative, you're trying to kidnap our success.

I feel bad arguing with you.

One thing is the challenges you have us face, another thing is you don't accept and can't handle you gave us that much loot (loot we earned).

Last edited by PumpkinLorica; 12-22-2021 at 01:20 AM.
PumpkinLorica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:47 AM   #1215
ajardoor

I swear, the bad guy got 4s on both of his Stealth rolls. (It was an opposed roll, and none of you got a critical success on Observation or Traps.)

Would some bonus Character Points as a reward for suffering hardship would smooth things over? I could even give you a deal; 3 free-floating Character Points you spend on whatever you wish, or you get 10 Character Points for the purposes of reducing or eliminating Disadvantages only, whichever the party would prefer.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:30 AM   #1216
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's $173,744, weighing a mere 20.3 lbs.

That's... impressive. are we sure its not fake or cursed?
This is what I asked. No one (GM or players) answered me.

So... I'm ambivalent. What's the expectation on a question like that? I didn't roll, and I didn't push that no one answered me, but that's probably because I was cooking for a holiday all the next day. I would like if my questions were answered. On the other hand, the rest of the players ignored my question... so I'm ambivalent.

I'm not actually that surprised that the gold is stolen and cursed... I didn't feel that we'd earned such a haul when we first found it, but expected trouble getting it home.

I do think as a GM you could be more verbose. Make sure you answer every questions, even if its to say "how would you do that?" or "how would you know that" If something supernatural or surprising happens, give a few extra lines to give context. You could also let party actions and precautions matter more. I'd rather face more tougher foes than foes that seem increasingly tailored to bypass our defenses. The fort has mattered... once, I think. I do get that you're trying to figure out what the party can handle, but it just feels bad that everyone wandering monster after the ants has ignored the fort.

And yeah, Play by Post has some extra challenges from being an ordinary GM. One of which is that going back and forth quickly is hard, so GM style needs to account for that. I don't think that a "gotcha" GM style lends itself to pbp, but I could be wrong and we just haven't figured it out yet.

Bonus character points I'm also ambivalent about. They're nice, yes, but they don't feel related to the problem. I'd prefer a GM commitment to improving in specific areas.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 12-22-2021 at 07:37 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #1217
vicious Violence

So the NPC landed critical success then, but also when poisoning our food? I find this highly improbable. Rather than the points I would prefer when catch this NPC and keep the gold stash as is.

Also gold makes noise and is heavy.
vicious Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #1218
Hide

I think it is normal to miss a couple of questions during gameplay, that does not bother me because we can ask again if we deem it important. Eric, clerics get a roll of per + investiture level to sense curses. That did not happen in the room with the chest, but in the room of the “demonic presence”, so it was OK. Since you did not ask again, I thought you found about it yourself. But I think what you mean about the “job of GMs” is important.

A relevant fact here, is that the money in the chest was not cursed, it was the pouch of coins Lionel had. All we took from Lionel was the papers; we left the rest behind, after the “demonic presence” event, here’s the inventory (November 15, 2021):
https://forums.sjgames.com/showpost....postcount=1097

The captives passed away on November 12, 2021:
https://forums.sjgames.com/showpost....&postcount=886

AFAIK that leaves the curse out.

I think the character points are part of our regular reward from getting back to the town; I also think Vicious suggestion is more adequate.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #1219
Hide

Standing on middle ground, since the curse already took place, you could remove the theft event.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #1220
PumpkinLorica

The clowns bypassed our set up (not just the traps) "just because", and I comprehended you.

But a second time? Stealth doesnt bypass traps, they just got close, its not the only thing we prepared to prevent attacks. Vic says they could've killed us, it's the truth, you can call a game-over offscreen with rolls we don't get to see.

Losing the epic loot off-screen doesnt feel right.
Im advocating for what you already gave us.
Ive the impression I speak for everybody saying we want our loot.

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, magic, martial arts