Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
KoalaBro2

Default 2 Hex Ogres?

So, having played a bit of the old Origin Systems Ogre computer game, I'm familiar with the basics of how Ogre is played. But looking at these big 3d Ogre counters that are going in the new edition, I'm confused by the size. Are these guys supposed to take up 2 hexes? If so, can defenders target the rear hex? Can the Ogre count range on some/all of its weapons from the rear hex?

Conversely, if the double hex size is merely a "cosmetic" effect, and the Ogre is only considered to occupy its front hex, then can defender units move into the rear hex, "underneath" the Ogre?
KoalaBro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Buzzardo

Default Re: 2 Hex Ogres?

It's my understanding that for the purposes of all rules, the Ogre is really in its front hex. All attacks are counted to and from the front hex, and enemy units can enter the rear hex as though the Ogre weren't there (because it's not there; it's in the front hex).

I think a lot of people wanted one-hex Ogre counters for exactly the reasons you mention: Two-hex Ogres are potentially confusing, and they make maneuvering behind the Ogre a pain, for friend and foe alike.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaBro2 View Post
Conversely, if the double hex size is merely a "cosmetic" effect, and the Ogre is only considered to occupy its front hex, then can defender units move into the rear hex, "underneath" the Ogre?
The Ogre is considered to be in the front hex (each hex is 1.5km!). Units can be in rear hex without stacking. The draft rules are available as a .pdf right now.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
I think a lot of people wanted one-hex Ogre counters for exactly the reasons you mention: Two-hex Ogres are potentially confusing, and they make maneuvering behind the Ogre a pain, for friend and foe alike.
If by "a lot" you mean a very vocal minority, yep. I seem to recall the surveys showed that it was something like one-in-twenty wanted one-hex Ogres.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Jeffr0

I my last game of Ogre, there was two turns where an infantry unit had to perch on the back part of the miniature.

Honestly... no armor unit wants to be one hex away from the Ogre unless they can help it.

Also... you want your 6e Ogre game to be compatible with Ogre miniatures.

Trust me on this! :)

After all, I know what you *actually* want. ;)
Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Atomic Kennedy

With the tab top design of the new counters and the chipboard Ogres, you ought to.be able to center the Ogre on the hex and still be able to fit all your armor units around it. From the looks of it, that is. Frankly I think the visual appeal and ease of handling big ogres will outweigh the modest downsides.

--M
Atomic Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Toltrin

Actually the OGREs are 3km long and about 1.5 km wide. :/
That would make them bigger than the biggest Bolos written about by Keith Laumer. LOL
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
The Fox
Not-So-Secret Master /.\

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaBro2 View Post
So, having played a bit of the old Origin Systems Ogre computer game, I'm familiar with the basics of how Ogre is played. But looking at these big 3d Ogre counters that are going in the new edition, I'm confused by the size. Are these guys supposed to take up 2 hexes? If so, can defenders target the rear hex? Can the Ogre count range on some/all of its weapons from the rear hex?

To answer your questions in order: Nope, nope, nope, yup.

Ogres are only "really" in their front hex. Use that hex for targeting, movement, everything. And yeah, you can move an enemy unit into the hex that the Ogre's butt "occupies." I wouldn't recommend it, of course, what with all those guns and missiles and whathaveyou, but the option is there.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
LordArach

The only time I would perch a unit on the Ogre's trailer is when using infantry. Everything else has range enough to not need to be that close. There would only be one or two circumstances that would contradict that. The Ogre is pinned between a crater and map edge, you have two armor units with a range of two that could move in behind to strike, but one would have to go right up on the back to allow the one behind to be in range. I only bring that up because it happened in a game I played today.

Praise "Bob"!

Last edited by LordArach; 05-15-2012 at 02:46 PM.
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
KoalaBro2

Yeah, I looked in the new rules and didn't see anything, which is why I asked. I agree that the 3d units are cool enough to make it worth the modest inconvenience, but it might be worth clarifying in the rules (unless it's there and I didn't see it. I searched through for the word "hex" and found nothing relevant).

Thanks all for your help! And yes, I was mostly thinking of infantry moving into that hex.
KoalaBro2 is offline   Reply With Quote