Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
khorboth

Default Preperation time with no limit on uses

I'm looking for some help on a limitation. I'm helping a friend make a Sovereigns character and have hit a block on a limitation. He wants to have an orbital satellite laser. I can model the attack just fine (12 mile range, AOE, overhead surprise attack, etc.) but can't figure out how to model the necessary time to get it into position.

It should take about an hour to take control of the satellite and maneuver it into position. After that, it should be able to strike anywhere within a reasonable combat area once per second.

"Prep required" and "takes extra time" are both per use. Limited uses doesn't really cut it.

Ideas?
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Preperation time with no limit on uses

Summonable Ally with such Innate Attack and Preparation Required on Ally.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:35 AM   #3
Gnomasz

I'd model it with either/or limitations:
Accessibility: when satellite is present, (-30%, I guess) or Preparation Required: 1h, -50%, which makes 0.3 x 0.5 = 0.15 => -15%

But here's the question - why can't he use the satellite, if it's more than 12 miles away? Just place it on the other side of the globe and fire? Does the device not accept "fire" signal from too far?
Unfortunattely, the only one enhancement providing infinite range is Malediction, which gives resistance roll, so maybe the Ally way is better.
Eventually, there is a "we're not gonna use it at this range, ever, becouse it's too unreliable and dangerous" explanation. And still, when necessery, Temporary Enhancement with roll on IQ based skill instead of Will could increase range.

Last edited by Gnomasz; 04-14-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Fnordianslip

Hmm, assuming this is a super-science sorta orbital zapper, it might be reasonable to just call it a -5% to -10% nuisance effect. Here's why. At any given point in time, the character could have the satellite in a position to cover a huge part of the Earth's surface, say a quarter of the globe at any given moment. So, if the character is in North America, he'll probably be covering that part of the world. If he finds out he needs to run to Africa for a mission, it'll take his satellite an hour or three to get there. Frustrating if he's suddenly teleported across the globe, but otherwise not a big deal if he can plan ahead.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Genesis

I agree with Fnordianslip - unless the character is (for some reason) prevented from planning engagements ahead of time there's no limitation. If the campaign is anything like reality (or, for that matter, like any RPG I've ever played), no one who has access to orbital death-sats goes into a battle unprepped. I would feel cheated, as a GM, by a player who managed to get away with never being limited by the limitation I let him take. -5%!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
SuedodeuS

If the player/GM defines it as taking an hour to point itself toward a certain area, it takes an hour to point itself. It might be very slow at reorienting itself, or have stability issues it needs to correct after a large shift, or have no reason at all aside from the fact the Advantage is built that way.

The either/or Limitation idea probably works decently well. I was going to suggest simply halving the value of the Preparation Required Limitation for an ability that requires prep-time but is then freely available for the rest of the "scene."

As a final note, I'd recommend having the character use Forward Observer to "attack" with the satellite, as that seems more appropriate than Innate Attack.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth
I can model the attack just fine (12 mile range, AOE, overhead surprise attack, etc.) but can't figure out how to model the necessary time to get it into position.

It should take about an hour to take control of the satellite and maneuver it into position. After that, it should be able to strike anywhere within a reasonable combat area once per second.
The 12 mile range... Is that relative to the observer/character?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
khorboth

I think FnordianSlip is probably right. Since the character can warp anywhere in the world with minimal prep time, I think I'll call it 10%.

I've already statted it to use Forward Observer as the attack skill. The 12 mile limit is based upon average sight distance when standing on the surface of the Earth.

Statting it as a summonable ally would give a 24d burning attack with AOE etc. for about 10 points. I think that's a bit unreasonable.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
dcarson

I would enforce the Prep per scene. Low Earth orbit is about 90 minutes so if it was in firing range for the last fight 15 minutes ago it will take 75 minutes to come around again. So the Prep required gets it so it covers the are you are in but then it can be use for a while every 90 minutes. Plus once they get a Reputation the fact that it has moved to cover an area gives some warning that they might be coming.
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth
I think FnordianSlip is probably right. Since the character can warp anywhere in the world with minimal prep time, I think I'll call it 10%.

I've already statted it to use Forward Observer as the attack skill. The 12 mile limit is based upon average sight distance when standing on the surface of the Earth.
Given the tremendous range, even -10% seems overly generous to me. I wouldn't give it more than a -5% NE.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote