Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default New Innate Attack Modifier: Bow

So I've been trying to build a magic bow as a gadget limited advantage and found a lot of the facets of the bow problematic to model with standard rules. (the bow is functionally normal bow that also has a few special abilities above and beyond the normal functionality. But any magic user could potentially power stunt the bows normal functionality so I'd like to build even the normal attack modes of a bow just as they are in terms of functionality.)

So I've had some problems modeling this. At first I thought it had Limited Use (1 use, fast reload: 3 seconds). But a bow takes 2 seconds to reload before you can shoot again (1 to draw an arrow and 1 to ready on the string.)

I tried using Takes Extra Time but it can't normally be bypassed by fast-draw skills and quick shooting.

On top of that bows have varying amounts of bulk which innate attacks don't.

Then there is the subject of range being based on a multiple of strength instead of a fixed number.

So here is my question: How much would you price and what would you stat the effects of a new modifier for innate attacks that makes the attack function identically to a bow for all intents and purposes? (I'm not worried about accuracy, damage type, or other effects which are not functionally different between bows and innate attacks.)

For extra credit: what about a variation that mimics the effects of a thrown weapon?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
rkbrown419

Default Re: New Innate Attack Modifier: Bow

Do you have Gurps Power-Ups Embuments? Pyramid 3-44 has a variation on Embuments you might find helpful too.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:38 AM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
Do you have Gurps Power-Ups Embuments? Pyramid 3-44 has a variation on Embuments you might find helpful too.
I don't see how GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements applies here. The OP is looking to make a specific bow, not add an attack to any bow the character might pick up.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post

I tried using Takes Extra Time but it can't normally be bypassed by fast-draw skills and quick shooting.
Takes Extra Time {-10%}, and Doesn't Take Extra Time with Requires (Fast Draw) Roll -10% {+9%}
The fast draw roll negates the extra time limitation. A -1% total which seems sensible; most archers either make do with slowness or learn fast draw.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
Humabout

What about an Extra Bulk linitation?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

What you want is GURPS Powers-Ups 4: Enhancements as it greatly expands and goes into detail on ST-based attacks
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
rkbrown419

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I don't see how GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements applies here. The OP is looking to make a specific bow, not add an attack to any bow the character might pick up.
Specifically the Pyramid article tells you how to turn an Imbument into an advantage which could then be gadget based.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
Specifically the Pyramid article tells you how to turn an Imbument into an advantage which could then be gadget based.
But that's still an gadget to enhance any bow, not creating a gadget bow.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
Humabout

I don't recall and don't have access to my books right now. Are there an Extra Recoil and Extra Bulk limitations? These would be generally useful.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I don't recall and don't have access to my books right now. Are there an Extra Recoil and Extra Bulk limitations? These would be generally useful.
from Innate Attacks and Bulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Innate Attacks have Bulk 0. On a Move and Attack (p. B365), this means that they attack at -2, because that's worse than Bulk. However, that isn't the same as saying that they have Bulk -2. In every other situation where Bulk would matter -- e.g., in close combat (p. B391) -- Innate Attacks have no penalty. And Bulk is "undefined" here in its role as a Holdout penalty, as Innate Attacks are intrinsic and don't require Holdout in the first place. I'd say that giving an Innate Attack a true Bulk for all purposes is worth very little. I might allow -5% for genuine Bulk -2, and then -5% per further doubling: -10% for Bulk -4, -15% per Bulk -8, etc.
[edit: snip]; however Innate Attack and Bows and Throw weapons all have an Rlc of 1 anyway

[Edit: Extra Recoil is on B112]

Last edited by roguebfl; 07-17-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Tags
power-ups, pyramid 3/44