Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
thulben

Default Re: IR Camouflage at TL 0 - 1

How did Arnold do it in Predator? He lit up some torches to "blind" that sense and covered himself in mud.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
How did Arnold do it in Predator? He lit up some torches to "blind" that sense and covered himself in mud.
The Mythbusters tested using mud to bypass a thermal sensor (at around 5 minutes in this clip). It didn't work very well. For a cinematic action hero though, it could work.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
Jovus

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned, "Live somewhere the ambient temperature is comparable to your body heat."
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovus View Post
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned, "Live somewhere the ambient temperature is comparable to your body heat."
Not helpful. You still emit a different spectral picture ('IR colour') than other stuff.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
whswhs

What IR vision detects is radiated heat. If you can avoid radiating in the IR spectrum, you can avoid being spotted by IR vision. That seems to me to say that you need to have a high albedo in the IR; blackbodies are both good absorbers and good emitters of electromagnetic radiation, and if you are a poorer absorber you are also a poorer emitter, at least as a first approximation. To me that says that you would look for materials that looked "white" to your own IR senses, or even better metallic (silvery surfaces have higher albedo than white).

Of course, you'd also have to deal with getting rid of heat by nonradiative methods: conduction or evaporation, mainly, since you can't count on having moving air to provide convection. Air doesn't conduct heat well, so you'd either have to lie on the ground, or else sweat or pant heavily. But you'd have to balance your thermal books somehow.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
Jovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Not helpful. You still emit a different spectral picture ('IR colour') than other stuff.
Really? Do you have any research I can look at for that?

I'm not disbelieving you; I'm just curious, because this is something I haven't heard before, and so I want to see how and why it works that way.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovus View Post
Really? Do you have any research I can look at for that?

I'm not disbelieving you; I'm just curious, because this is something I haven't heard before, and so I want to see how and why it works that way.
Not anything I can link to on demand, but generally, bodies don't emit energy equally across all spectra. They emit (or reflect) more or less in different frequencies. I once found a picture which mapped different IR frequencies to different RGB colours. It was weird and fascinating.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
Jovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Not anything I can link to on demand, but generally, bodies don't emit energy equally across all spectra. They emit (or reflect) more or less in different frequencies. I once found a picture which mapped different IR frequencies to different RGB colours. It was weird and fascinating.
...yeah, this is a case of me being stupid and confusing IR with other methods of heat dissipation.

Still, I suppose it pushes back my answer to, "Live somewhere the ambient temperature is comparable with your body heat and cover yourself with local vegetation."

'tain't perfect, but it's something.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
Purple Haze

The biggest problem is that the IR detector needs to be cooler than what it is trying to detect, otherwise it loses any image in it's own thermal noise. So if they are seeing each other with IR, their eyeballs must be much colder than their body temp, and I doubt that doing the testical trick with eye stalks is anywhere near enough difference.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
The biggest problem is that the IR detector needs to be cooler than what it is trying to detect, otherwise it loses any image in it's own thermal noise. So if they are seeing each other with IR, their eyeballs must be much colder than their body temp, and I doubt that doing the testical trick with eye stalks is anywhere near enough difference.
How do vampire bats work? They have some sort of insulation between their IR sensors and the rest of the body, or something like that.