Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #41
Bruno

Default Re: Have I Got Jumping Velocity Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Never read it that way and always just used the max HP in the calculation.
Another way to read it would be total HP but I decided no on that one.
I like you way better and wish it was written up in the FAQ or errata somewhere. Since RPK and Kromm are looking at this thread, could we have a ruling how its supposed to be? Pretty please?
Try googling the forums, there's a lot of talk about slams, including with Kromm

Especially, reading "the other guys HP is used to determine damage to me" is consistent with, well, physics, if you use HP as a proxy for mass.

Two objects with equal HP do equal damage to each other. It's just when it's an uneven match that you start worrying about this.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #42
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Never read it that way and always just used the max HP in the calculation.
Another way to read it would be total HP but I decided no on that one.
I like you way better and wish it was written up in the FAQ or errata somewhere. Since RPK and Kromm are looking at this thread, could we have a ruling how its supposed to be? Pretty please?
I always used the minimum HP, personally, since the damage from being hit by a truck going at 60MPH should be the same as the damage from running into a wall at 60MPH. I recently changed and just capped the maximum damage to the attacker at twice the attacker's damage; the maximum damage to the defender should probably be twice the defender's damage, too.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #43
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I always used the minimum HP, personally, since the damage from being hit by a truck going at 60MPH should be the same as the damage from running into a wall at 60MPH. I recently changed and just capped the maximum damage to the attacker at twice the attacker's damage; the maximum damage to the defender should probably be twice the defender's damage, too.
I limit the damage from running into a higher HP object at twice your HP x velocity/100, same as running into a fixed immovable object or falling into the planet. After all, it's not like anything has more HP than the ground...

I've even considered capping Slam damage in this manner if something is running into you and there's nothing preventing you flying back from the impact (i.e., no wall behind you or ground beneath you with the impact coming from above), except for purposes of knockback. Plenty of instances of people being flung great distances by vehicular impacts with nasty injuries, but not a lot of dismemberment, after all.

So here's how it would go....

HP 10, Move 6 person hitting another HP 10 person: Each takes 10 x 6/100 for no more than 1d. Attacker can get bonus from AoA.

HP 10, Move 6 person pops out of an alley and slams into the side of an HP 70 minivan. He inflicts his measly 1d or less on the van, possibly doubled for a hard surface, and in turn the impact inflicts 20 (not 70) x 6 = ~1d+1 on the runner in 'real' damage. After all, running into the minivan at Move 6 can't be worse than hitting a similarly hard surface when falling at 6 yards/second, can it?

HP 10 person gets hit by the same HP 70 minivan moving at 40 mph, so Move 20, at point of impact, so by RAW he would take 70 x 20 = 1400/100 = 14d. However, I'd cap that at 20 x 20 = 400/100 = 4d of actual damage, while rolling the entire 14d for purposes of knockback. Definitely going to be hurting, especially after taking additional impact damage from being flung backward an average of 6 yards.

HP 10 person gets hit by the minivan while standing in front of a brick wall, so takes the entire 14d. Squish.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #44
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
HP 10 person gets hit by the minivan while standing in front of a brick wall, so takes the entire 14d. Squish.
This almost sounds like the guy is taking two sets of slam damage: him vs van, and him vs wall.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #45
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
This almost sounds like the guy is taking two sets of slam damage: him vs van, and him vs wall.
If he's a yard away from it, and the van somehow stops short, sure... but if he's flush with the wall and van keeps coming, simpler just to apply the whole damage in one roll.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #46
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
If he's a yard away from it, and the van somehow stops short, sure... but if he's flush with the wall and van keeps coming, simpler just to apply the whole damage in one roll.
I would, it just seems he would take double damage (and possibly apply 2x DR)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #47
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I would, it just seems he would take double damage (and possibly apply 2x DR)
If the vehicle keeps coming and basically tries to impact the wall through you, I'd probably make it one roll based on a collision between vehicle and wall, with you only getting the benefit of your DR once. That actually comes to up to twice vehicle DR x velocity/100, assuming the wall can't be moved and is a hard surface....

Heck, if you're really unlucky, you might get hit once by the vehicle some yards away from the wall (for the reduced damage mentioned before), have the vehicle not slow down at all due to your pitiful comparative mass and momentum, and be carried on its grille to a second really nasty impact between the vehicle and the wall on the same or next turn. Might make for a good finishing move on some of the antagonists in Monster Hunters, actually, assuming you can put enough armor on the grille that the vehicle remains usable.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #48
Athanbeli

Didn't read anything from the thread,but here's the link to solve any possible controversy!

http://youtu.be/VWp82FwuYHQ

Tags
jump, slam