Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2017, 03:56 AM   #1
Kesendeja

Default X-Files level characters

I was wanting to start an X-Files game, though I will get a little more obvious about the supernatural conspiracy later, and need help working out what level of characters to make.

What number of points would you give out, to capture the feel. I'm wanting them to be a task force designed to investigate, and later deal with threats. I'm reading up on Delta Green adventures for this as well.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:41 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: X-Files level characters

Mulder and Scully were FBI agents, who I would peg at roughly 150 to 250 points. I really don't know how well-trained they were in combat situations; Mulder seems to have had a desk job for most of his recent career, while Scully would have been in the field more recently before being assigned to babysit Mulder.

That said, I'd probably look at the Action! line rather than Monster Hunters for such a game, handing out XP at a fast enough rate to get them to Monster Hunters levels by the time you get a bit more overt with the supernatural.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Mulder and Scully were highly competent people who grew slowly, so I would reflect that it the sessions. I would start them with 250 points, with Legal Enforcement Powers and Duty balancing them out. I would ban cinematic advantages and any blatantly supernatural advantages (borderline stuff like Danger Sense and Empathy are quite acceptable).

I would imagine that each session would be the equivalent of one episode, so I would give the characters one character point plus one character point for normal skill progression and one character point for social advantage development (Allies, Contacts, Patrons, etc). I would also give them one character point per session for cinematic rules such as changing a traumatic injury to a flesh wound and one character point per session for plot manipulation such as shifting dice results. That way, you preserve the slow development of the show without punishing your players.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
Phantasm

I'm not so sure one session should equal one episode, but I'm used to 4-hour sessions where we can go off on half hour conversation tangents at the drop of a hat at least twice per session (also, IRC is sometimes slower than tabletop, though not as slow as message board RP can be). Maybe each session arc (3-4 sessions) equaling an episode?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
Kesendeja

I've set the attribute limit to 14 and skills are limited to 16.

I'm thinking of giving out 200 pts for the characters before the academy and then give them a 30 pt FBI agent template and 20pts for personal growth.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:07 AM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I'm not so sure one session should equal one episode, but I'm used to 4-hour sessions where we can go off on half hour conversation tangents at the drop of a hat at least twice per session (also, IRC is sometimes slower than tabletop, though not as slow as message board RP can be). Maybe each session arc (3-4 sessions) equaling an episode?
I haven't run a campaign in that genre, but I've run a fair number of supers campaigns, which sometimes fall into the same pattern plotwise. A common structure was two sessions: One for exposition and complications, and one for climax and denouement—or in game terms, presenting the situation, planting the hook, and investigation, followed by the big fight or other conflict. It's ideal if you can set up the cliffhanger right at the end of the first session. That's for face to face, though.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #7
Kesendeja

My group tends to get together for long sessions, 6 to 8 hours is common.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I'm thinking of giving out 200 pts for the characters before the academy and then give them a 30 pt FBI agent template and 20pts for personal growth.
That seems backwards. Most of your points should be in professional templates, and background skills are usually a small percentage of that. 30 points in attributes, the modern pistol style, legal enforcement powers, and police skills and 200 points in Sports (Football) or Hobby (Video Games) doesn't make much sense.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-28-2017 at 01:15 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Scully was an absurdly young ultra competent medical doctor and FBI field agent. 200 points for what she was on paper seems rather anemic.
She did suffer a rather severe delusion throughout most of the series though.

Luck, so much of what I call Gilligan luck in that they always survive no matter how unlikely that seems, but all evidence and witnesses will disappear in a puff of smoke or sometimes get spirited away by "them". Whether that's genre or personal advantage feels open to interpretation.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
doctorevilbrain

What was Scully's delusion?
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, conspiracy, conspiricy, delta green, federal agencies, x-files