Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Boaz Reinders

Default Orc card

I have a question about the description of the orc card.

The description is: An Orc who is hit with a curse can always choose to ignore the curse and lose a level instead - unless he's already at level 1.

some people here think that it means when you're at lvl 1 u cannot ignore the curses.

other people here think that when you're lvl 1 u still are able to ignore the curse without getting any consequences.

wich explanation is right?
Boaz Reinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Eben

Default Re: Orc card

Level 1 Orcs cannot ignore a curse.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
snarky

Because you cannot fulfill the requirement of losing a level, nothing bad would happen to you if you avoided the curse. Therefore, you cannot do so, because there is no cost to you.

This is different from the case of a 1st-level Thief, who must still discard cards to attempt his theft, even though he cannot lose a level for failing. He still has a cost associated with the ability, so he can exercise it.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Boaz Reinders

kk thnx:) I knew my english was better than that of my friends :P

we've been playing it for 2 months or something but some cards we're still arguing about:P

like with the high lvl monsters... some monsters has in their description: will not pursue anyone of lvl 3 or below...
what does that mean for a lvl 2? can he just take the treasures without having a fight? or does it means he can walk further without the treasures but he just don't have to run away from the monster?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
SmokeRulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz Reinders View Post
like with the high lvl monsters... some monsters has in their description: will not pursue anyone of lvl 3 or below...
what does that mean for a lvl 2? can he just take the treasures without having a fight? or does it means he can walk further without the treasures but he just don't have to run away from the monster?
Both of those are wrong. You cannot take a monster's treasure without killing it, or defeating it with some card that says you also get its treasure. There's also no "walking away" from a fight. You either win the fight, or you lose it by running away.

"Will not pursue" only pertains to running away from a monster. If you're up against a high-level monster, you can attempt to fight it. But if you're not able to kill it, then that means you must run away. However, if you're Level 3 or lower (that means: 3, 2, or 1), then your run away attempt automatically succeeds. Roll the dice anyway, but the monster simply doesn't try to catch you, so you don't suffer its Bad Stuff. Keep in mind that other players can still use certain special cards to make your run away attempt fail, even against monsters that don't pursue!
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1

Last edited by SmokeRulz; 03-13-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Boaz Reinders

oh kk thnx:) this will change the way we're playing it right now big time:P
thnx for the info :)
Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Putney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRulz View Post
Keep in mind that other players can still use certain special cards to make your run away attempt fail, even against monsters that don't pursue!
Wait, if you automatically get away from a monster, and some one uses, say, flask of glue for example, would you not still automatically get away because the monster will still not pursue? I mean all flask of glue dose is make you re-roll, but I believe it has recently been stated that you do need to roll to get away from will not pursue monsters, but they will not pursue no matter the die roll.
Is this correct?
Putney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
ComBAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putney View Post
Wait, if you automatically get away from a monster, and some one uses, say, flask of glue for example, would you not still automatically get away because the monster will still not pursue? I mean all flask of glue dose is make you re-roll, but I believe it has recently been stated that you do need to roll to get away from will not pursue monsters, but they will not pursue no matter the die roll.
Is this correct?
I don't recall where exactly I had read the clarity, but I believe I had read that because "will not pursue" is considered an automatic run away attempt, the Flask of Glue can apply and be used to force the low level munchkin to actually roll to run away.

Unfortunately I am not very good at citing any forum references and perhaps a more creditable source can respond.
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComBAT View Post
I don't recall where exactly I had read the clarity, but I believe I had read that because "will not pursue" is considered an automatic run away attempt, the Flask of Glue can apply and be used to force the low level munchkin to actually roll to run away.
If I've said anything about this issue, it's that you can, of course, waste your Flask Of Glue on someone running away from a Monster that won't pursue, and they'll just have to attempt to run away again, and succeed, because the Monster still won't pursue.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

There are some cards that say "even if escape was automatic the first time," or equivalent language, and in those specific instances, you must roll the second attempt. But you shouldn't infer that text if it's not there.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
card, description, mommy, orc, question