Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
Dalin

Default Improving skills from default

As far as I can tell, Adventurers doesn't explicitly have a section on improving skills from default. Under "Improving Skills Directly" (p. 70):

Quote:
To increase the level of a skill you already know, spend character points equal to the difference between the cost of the desired skill level and that of your current level.
This suggests that if you know a skill at IQ because of a default, then you would simply pay the difference between the target level (IQ+1) and the current level. For an average skill, you would thus spend 2 points.

The next paragraph, however, describes a different way of calculating it:

Quote:
When improving a skill, you need to know only how much you’ve already spent!
Using this method, my average IQ to IQ+1 skill mentioned above would cost four points since I've spent zero points on the default level.

I'm not sure how to proceed.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Improving skills from default

From comments made outside the books, it is my understanding that this rule is not intended to be in DFRPG. You just buy skills starting at [1].

Look at templates that can start with both of two different weapon skills that allow a default, such as Broadsword and Two-Handed Sword on the Knight. There is no provision for saving points.

However, the way your first quote is phrased allows the GM to make the call either way and still claim to be playing by RAW.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Improving skills from default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
However, the way your first quote is phrased allows the GM to make the call either way and still claim to be playing by RAW.
Granted, but as you state the RAI are to be as simple as possible.

Of course it's still GURPS at the end of the day, so if the Players and GM want to add back in more complexity they are free to do so.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote