Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #891
Otaku

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
On a failed roll, the hex you intended to exclude also shifts, allowing you to fry yourself. And RoF 300 is still subject to scatter, which will end up with 300 AoE effects covering the same guy no matter what. It's just that some (most) won't be centered on the initial target.
True...

...but if we worry about that, what about all the other unintended targets?

Now that I think about it, I also am wondering why we go with 1d-3 for the damage, as opposed to say a single point of damage (calculated as if it werer 0.25d, right?). If the original M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. isn't rules legal, perhaps variants that leave out different elements of it (to save points) is a good idea.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #892
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
True...

...but if we worry about that, what about all the other unintended targets?

Now that I think about it, I also am wondering why we go with 1d-3 for the damage, as opposed to say a single point of damage (calculated as if it werer 0.25d, right?)
Because there was more than enough room in the budget to give yourself 3 DR and be immune to your own attack.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #893
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Because there was more than enough room in the budget to give yourself 3 DR and be immune to your own attack.
Except cosmic +50 isn't enough. Cosmic (by pass DR) is actually the highest level of Armour Divisor, so you need multiple level of Harding to stop it.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #894
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Except cosmic +50 isn't enough. Cosmic (by pass DR) is actually the highest level of Armour Divisor, so you need multiple level of Harding to stop it.
Plus as it was written, wasn't it good against all Impaling damage? So it will be that effective not only against your own attack, but everything else. What would be the Limitation for DR only against your own attack?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #895
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Wrong. +50% is the Defense or Countermeasure tier, which allows DR to function against Irresistible Attacks with a 300% Cosmic. The two Cosmics cancel each other out, resolving the attack as if neither trait had Cosmic.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #896
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Plus as it was written, wasn't it good against all Impaling damage? So it will be that effective not only against your own attack, but everything else. What would be the Limitation for DR only against your own attack?
It's also not needed to defined you from your own attack as that can be done with Selective Area it already has. Though it can be used agasined some who has the same ability.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #897
Shrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Lurker View Post
Yep.. but the question still remains: whats the reason for it?
Metal absorbing magic? Thick materials blocking power-rays?

Maybe its just a matter of different gaming styles- but I always try to find some reason as to why you can't wear armor while activating such a power.
That should be up to each individual player.
Shrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #898
Shrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackseasofinfinity View Post
B142: Life bane gives -2 on reaction rolls made by anyone in a position to notice it...," then later: "... for instance, you need never buy insect repellent!"

It basically already has that feature and gives a limitation. It's still a disadvantage.

But I agree with Der Wanderer... what GM in his right mind would allow this? ;)

What's kind of funny is, almost all of our players were taking this every game, so our GM decided it should cost +15 points instead of -10... lol, no one takes it now ;).
Could also be a perk
Shrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:54 AM   #899
Matthias von Schwarzwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
Munchkin's Universe-shaking Nondirectional Cosmic Hyperluminal Kinetoelectromagnetic Interference Neurodisrupter (M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.) (+5190%):

Toxic Attack 1 point (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect, 2475880078570760549798248448 yards (about 74 gigaparsecs), +4550%; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, +300%; Emanation, -20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Underwater, +20%) [53].

Notes: It's a cosmic attack, literally. Pulses of cosmic energy that radiate from the attacker (reaching 74 gigaparsecs in a flat second) burning out the neural system of living beings in the affected area, and remember that even the edge of our universe is "merely" about 10 gigaparsecs away from Earth. Also note that an Area Effect attack with Emanation involves no to-hit roll and simply affects anyone in the area. Furthermore, it allows victims only to dive for cover, and actually there's no effective cover since this Cosmic, Irresistible attack ignores DR. In conclusion, the user can attack every living thing in our entire universe, with 1 point of damage, 300 times per second. Have fun. 53 points.
I assume someone's already mentioned that Rapid Fire is a ranged attack modifier and Emanation specifically states that it's incompatible with those, but I might be wrong and there are entirely too many pages for me to check.

Edit: Turns out Shrex mentioned it on page 88, two years ago. . .

Edit 2: I'd delete this, but I can't figure out how.

Last edited by Matthias von Schwarzwald; 08-20-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Matthias von Schwarzwald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers