Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Zigjustice

Default Being STUNNED while already STUNNED

So while being attacked by enemies carrying guns with stunning capability, I failed a health role, and was stunned. However, the weapon had three shots, and the GM had me role all three, TWO of which I failed.

Thus, the GM said I was stunned TWICE, and had to complete my HT-4 role TWICE before waking up.

I argued that it seemed to me (though I can't seem to find verbage either way) that once you are stunned (from a weapon, not damage) that you can't be DOUBLY stunned. That outside of possible burn damage, the second stun does nothing.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there anything in one of the rule books to settle this debate?

Thanks.
Zigjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Being STUNNED while already STUNNED

Stunned is a status, not an effect that must be separately removed; it doesn't stack as far as I can determine.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Stunned is a status, not an effect that must be separately removed; it doesn't stack as far as I can determine.
There are different degrees of stunned-ness, and I can see how additional zapping might make it worse, and this GM's call is not especially out of round. Having to roll HT-4 twice to recover is probably less incapacitating than being stunned for a minute before needing to roll Will once, for instance.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
rlbeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigjustice View Post
So while being attacked by enemies carrying guns with stunning capability, I failed a health role, and was stunned. However, the weapon had three shots, and the GM had me role all three, TWO of which I failed.
I'm probably wrong, but I've always had them roll to hit, calculate how many hits they got for multiple shots, and then roll all the damage at once. I've just always taken as it was one attack with multiple shots, so it was one roll for damage...all the shots hit at once...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by obatron View Post
I'm probably wrong, but I've always had them roll to hit, calculate how many hits they got for multiple shots, and then roll all the damage at once. I've just always taken as it was one attack with multiple shots, so it was one roll for damage...all the shots hit at once...
This certainly isn't true of normal damage; each shot needs to penetrate DR individually. I'm not sure how you'd go about doing this with afflictions at all. Can you clarify?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
Woodman

The Weapon essentially delivers an Affliction and the Basic Set says on p.35
Quote:
Successive Afflictions that produce the same effects are not normally cumulative. Use the single worst effect.
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Quote:
Successive Afflictions that produce the same effects are not normally cumulative. Use the single worst effect.
I agree. Stunned is stunned. Doubling up stunned would be like hitting someone with blinding powder twice and saying "You're now double-blind, and at -20 to hit everyone instead of just -10!" It just doesn't work that way.

That said, I do think it's possible to force another stun test on a stunned character: There's a chance the character will fail by 5 or critically fail and go unconscious.*

*Except in the case of an affliction or a stun gun. I don't think those work quite the same as a generic Knockdown/Stun check
Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Another question would be if a character is both MENTALLY and PHYSICALLY stunned. I would allow those two to coexist, and they would need to be recovered separately (though you would be able to roll for both when doing nothing)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
rlbeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This certainly isn't true of normal damage; each shot needs to penetrate DR individually. I'm not sure how you'd go about doing this with afflictions at all. Can you clarify?
Only that as I thought, I was wrong. :)

Oddly, I've been wondering about it lately...
Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigjustice View Post
Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there anything in one of the rule books to settle this debate?
GM's call.

No, really, GM's call. :)

Personally, going with generic "real world" assumptions, using tazers:
  • IF stun1 THEN stun2, I'd expect stun2 to extend the duration of stun1 -and- increase stun1's severity. (Harder to break out of.)
  • IF stun1 + stun2, at once, I'd expect a longer stun with increased severity.
But that is just my opinion (and how I would rule if I was the GM).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, injury, multiple, stun, stunning, stuns