Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-17-2022, 12:04 PM   #11
Dalin

Default Re: Thoughts on Starting a Nordlond Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by binn05 View Post
Can anyone that has read Dragon Heresy tell me if it is a good lore source for a Nordlond setting?
Yes, it pulls together a bunch of material into one place. Note that the naming conventions are different (e.g, Northwatch instead of Nordvorn, IIRC). There's a great map of the full region including Barakthel. I don't know if it has been reproduced in any of the other Nordlond books.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:09 PM   #12
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I have, in fact, been called out for both decisions:

1) This adventure has no context, and therefore sucks. If I wanted to make [censored] up, I would have and saved myself money. You [censored].
2) This adventure has too much context, you [censored] failed novelist, how dare you make me read anything or expect that we interact with the background, which forces me to read things. You [censored].

I have received variants of this on the same adventure (in this case, Hall of Judgment, but in general it applies on any published adventure).
I'm not calling you any names, just offering my perspective on how I wound up using the adventure.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:17 PM   #13
binn05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Yes, it pulls together a bunch of material into one place. Note that the naming conventions are different (e.g, Northwatch instead of Nordvorn, IIRC). There's a great map of the full region including Barakthel. I don't know if it has been reproduced in any of the other Nordlond books.
Oh boy, here I go again, having to find more spare money to buy interesting things. Although, I'd like a DFRPG-specific setting book.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:52 PM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
I'm not calling you any names, just offering my perspective on how I wound up using the adventure.
No, I wasn't trying to accuse you of doing so. Just that my email box occasionally smolders with fun feedback that indicates that it's hard to please everyone.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:53 PM   #15
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by binn05 View Post
Oh boy, here I go again, having to find more spare money to buy interesting things. Although, I'd like a DFRPG-specific setting book.
One fun bit about Dragon Heresy is that while it's a 5th-Edition D&D basis, you can see where my long-time love affair with GURPS slips in to my fantasy heartbreaker rules-mongering.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:16 PM   #16
sjmdw45

Quote:
No, I wasn't trying to accuse you of doing so. Just that my email box occasionally smolders with fun feedback that indicates that it's hard to please everyone.
Yeah, it can be hard to reconcile multiple game styles. Still, it's actually not that hard in this particular case to accomodate the jump-right-in dungeon-centric playstyle: as I mentioned, you can just have the "hook" discovered by an NPC who reaches out to the PCs to do the actual delving, and offers to sell the goods and split the profits with the PCs.

This doesn't even imply that players will always want to jump right into the dungeon crawl every time. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and it can depend as much upon real-world time constraints and prior context with these PCs as much as anything. If I wanted to do the slow-burn variation of Crypt of Krysuvik, I would introduce the location three or four game sessions prior to doing the library hook, and spend the time in between on a murder mystery or sea adventure instead.

Also BTW, an adventure doesn't have to have perfect hooks to be a good adventure. See for example Bryce Lynch's praise of Demonspore (https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=645) despite finding its hooks "tenuous".

Last edited by sjmdw45; 10-17-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:51 PM   #17
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
I don't have any insight into Noršlond in particular (I can't even tell what letter that theta-looking thing is supposed to represent!)
It's an Šš, sixth letter of the Icelandic alphabet right between D and E. Sort of a soft-ish th sounds. Never seen at the beginning of words.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:14 PM   #18
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
It's an Šš, sixth letter of the Icelandic alphabet right between D and E. Sort of a soft-ish th sounds. Never seen at the beginning of words.
Oh, thanks. That plus Googling "Icelandic alphabet pronunciation" will go a long way towards making the Noršlond monster names more than just perplexing squiggles of lines for me. :) Being able to pronounce names is surprisingly important for remembering them. It's the difference between "大象" (elephant) and "dąxiąng" (elephant).

Last edited by sjmdw45; 10-17-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:37 PM   #19
DouglasCole

Quote:
Oh, thanks. That plus Googling "Icelandic alphabet pronunciation" will go a long way towards making the Noršlond monster names more than just perplexing squiggles of lines for me. :) Being able to pronounce names is surprisingly important for remembering them. It's the difference between "大象" (elephant) and "dąxiąng" (elephant).
For what it's worth, there are pronunciation guides in Hall of Judgment and Citadel at Nordvorn...but you've given me a pretty good idea for a freebie.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:17 AM   #20
mburr0003

Quote:
I have, in fact, been called out for both decisions...
My only issue with Crypt of Krysuvik is there are a couple of spots where the PCs will have no firm idea of where to go next, so they either have to trust int he GM to just "railroad/lead them there" or the GM will need to lay out some more breadcrumbs.

I like sjmdw45 idea of breaking the adventure up as small segments between other 'missions', but then you need to have Players who are 'in the game' and not just 'beer and pretzel' gamers.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote