Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #51
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: A Yttarrian Campaign I'm Planning. Please Kiibitz.

I am arguing that they are not, I am just saying that they will get swatted by Megalos if they become too annoying, and Megalos will not be gentle. 1,000 CP elemental monsters are just the simplest flyswatters.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:21 AM   #52
RedMattis

Same here. I'm not arguing that they would be hated because they are the evilest of the evil. I'm arguing they would be hated because absolutely infuriating to those nearby and constitute a possible serious threat if left alone.

And the stuff they do to humans would be considered inhuman corruption/defilement by most of the religious figures in the other empires. The systematic mind-erase is just a cherry on top of that which probably makes it 'worse than murder' according to many.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:39 AM   #53
Willy

The dragons are another force that wouldn´t be happy with the newcomers, while they are mostly hiding or are driven away by the humans, such changes may also make them hostile to the bird man.

As for the transformation from humans into their own kind, that is a thing that all religious leaders will codemn.

Maybe this event have even the possibility to bring all mayor powers on earth in a albeit short alliance against them.

In GURPS there are a lot of spells to bring down that flying cities. Either in a way that the levitating spells are removed, or for example the cities could be made magically so heavy that they crash down. Maybe over an ocean. that wouldn´t kill the flying inhabitants but there infrastructure.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:30 PM   #54
Astromancer

Since I assume an early and friendly contact with the Elves of the Great Forest, I'm moving Daingean an Tuar Ceatha (Fortress of the Rainbow) to the skies around the mountains in the Great Forest. The city will be on the Western side of the mountains away from Autheuil. Look at the map on page 109 of GURPS: Banestorm.

Any farms built by the Hawkfolk will be here or in those areas of the Fence of God mountains. As the Hawkfolk keep an honest and sound peace with the Elves, they are well beyond the fury of Meglos.

More details later.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-24-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #55
Astromancer

The Hawkfolk city ofDaingean an Tuar Ceatha, is divided into neighborhoods. Two of these neighborhoods, the ones containing all the government buildings and major cultural and religious buildings always stay with the city. The other ten neighborhoods, called Argosies, left the city from time to time to trade in distant lands. The city had just welcomed back five of these Argosies from trade missions and sent five more neighborhoods out to trade. Thus Daingean an Tuar Ceatha is missing five neighborhoods.

The various Argosies are specialized in different trades. One pair of Argosies took turns gathering sea salt from Salt Pan as well as buying and preserving large amounts of fish and other kinds of seafood. The Argosies, when they return to Daingean an Tuar Ceatha exchange goods and set out to trade. Thus Argosies to the icy northern lands that buy rich furs, rare minerals, white falcons, and exotic ivories from sea mammals, will take these to the equatorial islands to sell for spices, pearls, and corals.

So Daingean an Tuar Ceatha is both missing Five/Twelves of its neighborhoods and is well stocked with trade goods. However, these stocks are a wasting resource. The Hawkfolk may be in trouble with Meglos, but they are anxious to explore both Yttarria specifically and Yrth generally, for trade opportunities.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-24-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:59 PM   #56
Inky

The outcry about turning people into Hawkfolk might be less because that doesn't actually apply to locals, only banestormers. For the same reason, they'd be less likely to find out it was happening, anyway. But it would depend how much people were going to panic!
Old 01-25-2021, 12:27 AM   #57
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
The outcry about turning people into Hawkfolk might be less because that doesn't actually apply to locals, only banestormers. For the same reason, they'd be less likely to find out it was happening, anyway. But it would depend how much people were going to panic!
While some distress would come from "they might brainwash and turn me personally into a feathered demon!" I think the big issue for religious leaders (and rulers) is "they are corrupting turning humans into brain-washed feathered demons!!"

It is basically like if the Borg from Star Trek showed up on a new planet and declared "we're willing to negotiate with you, or we'll take what we need" and at some point people use their special science-wands and discover that the Borg are human offworlders that were mind-wiped and transformed. The human nations would not be chill with them being anywhere on the planet if they are transforming people into more Borg to 'bolster their numbers'.

I doubt the elves would feel very safe around them either, given that the academical procedure might be adaptable for them as well, and given their long life-spans and tendency towards great individual capability, it would be obvious that the Hawkfolk would have great use for some highly-capable Hawkelves.

Last edited by RedMattis; 01-25-2021 at 12:31 AM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #58
Astromancer

The Hospitalers see the Hawkfolk as demons. The Templars don't. Neither do the Elves of the Great Forest nor the people of al-Wazif nor Caithness. The Hospitalers don't have the best reputation. Both Christian and Islamic missionaries want to convert the Hawkfolk.

The transformation of humans into Hawkfolk is largely unknown. Do remember this is a medieval society, the elites know little of most people and care less. People from other worlds are seen as resources or threats, not individuals with rights. And Meglos would be an extreme example of this.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #59
Astromancer

The Hawkfolk are, in the eyes of the Templars and those other Churchmen who know much about them Pagans. In the words of one scholar working for the Curia (the Leadership of the Yttarrian Church), "They seem to a syncretic blend of Buddhism and Neoplatonism and they venerate forms of the Greek and Egyptian gods."

Strangely enough, he's exactly right. The world the Hawkfolk come from has odd ancient links with Earth and the Mythology of the Hawkfolk faith is clearly based on the Greeco-Egyptian syncretic gods. The Hawkfolk learned of the Buddha somehow and they clearly follow a form of Buddhism (as did the much more violent Mongols and Samurai). Neoplatonic philosophy is a major theme in their faith.

A habit of the Hawkfolk is pleasing to the Church of Yttarria. The Hawkfolk are quick to heal the wounded and aid those in trouble. As I focused on how they fight earlier, and their pragmatic use of the fact they can fly. Because of the security of flight, the Hawkfolk feel free to aid the injured.

The Curia first became aware of this trait when a Hawkfolk Merchant Kite saw a group of injured people, they had barely survived an attack by a fell beast, and picked the lot up onto their ship, and took them to a Hawkfolk hospital. They soon healed the lot, even restoring the eye that one of the men had lost in a childhood illness. The Franciscan Friar in the group, as soon as they were taken to a nearby town, made his way to a bishop and gave a full, and positive, report.

The Hawkfolk are seen with suspicion and fear, but they are seen as more like a new type of Elf or Centaur, rather than a new type of Orc.

By the way, their transformations of humans into Hawkfolk as merely a variation of reincarnation.

The Curia knows nothing of these transformations. They clearly wouldn't approve. As for reshaping people's memories, that's something that cannon says the Church does on Yttarria to control the spread of dangerous ideas. The Curia is determined to convert the Hawkfolk.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-27-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:28 AM   #60
Astromancer

The players have made their PCs. They were all human males from an Earth who are now Hawkfolk. They were all older men. One is playing someone who was a sixty-year-old professor of classical languages whose department was scheduled to be closed down by the college he worked for in 1987. Two were stevedores in their late 40's from the New York of 1929. One was a 60-year-old African-American sharecropper from 1951.

They were all made young, strong, handsome, and fit by the transformation process. Both the Professor and the Sharecropper, both of whom had had serious illnesses when young and had no personal experiences of being handsome have failed IQ rolls and are a little out of it. Both the Stevedores are amused by this.

Note: Both the Professor and the Sharecropper have appearance perks in Hawkfolk society. Like Ancient Greece, the Hawkfolk celebrate and openly admire male beauty. The Professor has Classic Black Irish Looks which stand out dramatically among the olive-skinned Hawkfolk (the stevedores, being Southern Italian immigrants to the USA, fit right in). The Sharecropper, who is very dark-skinned and now has a flawless complexion, is lauded as an exotic beauty. The ladies are very attentive.

Ancora Imparo