Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2021, 04:05 AM   #1
Anth

Default Mental disadvantages

Hi,
I continue my conversion of DnD to GURPS.
In DnD5 the PCs have personality traits to help the players roleplay. Negative traits are called flaws and are worded like sentences.
These are NOT flaws, but curses, so players MUST roleplay accordingly, i.e. GURPS disadvantages.

The first ones were easy, the last ones got me stuck.

"Fire terrifies me"
This one is easy: phobia of fire.

"I like to bully others and make them feel weak and inferior"
Also easy: Bully.

"I won't take no for an answer"
This one stumped me. Fanaticism? Stubborn?

"I can't give a straight answer to any question put to me"
Instead of forcing the player to always give evasive answers I think it would be more fun just that people doesn't believe him, thinking he's lying all the time, as if others use of the skill Detect Lies would give a false positive. But I have no idea what disadvantage that would be.
Anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:47 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Mental disadvantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
"I won't take no for an answer"
This one stumped me. Fanaticism? Stubborn?

Instead of forcing the player to always give evasive answers I think it would be more fun just that people doesn't believe him, thinking he's lying all the time, as if others use of the skill Detect Lies would give a false positive. But I have no idea what disadvantage that would be.
Odious Personal Habit is a great disadvantage for things that should give a reaction penalty. I think these are -5-examples, although depending on how extreme they are they could go up to -10. -15 is best not thought about.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:04 AM   #3
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Odious Personal Habit is a great disadvantage for things that should give a reaction penalty. I think these are -5-examples, although depending on how extreme they are they could go up to -10. -15 is best not thought about.
Thnx.
Completely missed OPH.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:42 AM   #4
whswhs

"I won't take no for an answer" could also be a quirk: Stubborn limited to a single point, or Stubborn especially focused on a single point. Though I agree that OPH is also possible.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #5
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
"I won't take no for an answer" could also be a quirk: Stubborn limited to a single point, or Stubborn especially focused on a single point. Though I agree that OPH is also possible.
I'd say it depends on how literal we're being here.

--------------------------
"Let me in!" - PC

"No." - Guard

"I told you to let me in" - PC

"I can't let you in without an invitation." - Guard

"Oh. Nevermind then"
- PC

...is barely a quirk.

"Let me in!" - PC

"Nope. Not happening. You need an invitation." - Guard

Pulls gun "Let me in NOW!" - PC

"WHOA Dude, we can go to another club. Chill." - Other PC

"Don't get in my way. Unless this guard opens the door for me, I WILL TEACH HIM HIS PLACE!" - PC

Is one hell of a disadvantage. Might work (for awhile) if you're literally the king of the domain.

Last edited by RedMattis; 01-20-2021 at 07:56 AM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:07 AM   #6
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
I'd say it depends on how literal we're being here.

[...]

Is one hell of a disadvantage. Might work (for awhile) if you're literally the king of the domain.
The player agreed that the advantage would be almost unplayable as a disadvantage with self-control.
So we'll make it a quirk.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
lordabdul

Quote:
The player agreed that the advantage would be almost unplayable as a disadvantage with self-control.
So we'll make it a quirk.
Heh I was just about to recommend doing that. A lot of the games where personality traits are encouraged to improve roleplay do not have, by definition, any actual mechanics to manage these things... and so they are, by definition, GURPS Quirks.

That said, I also think there's a pretty widespread misunderstanding of how to properly play mental disadvantages like "Stubborn". For some reason many people think it always leads to someone pulling a gun or a sword, but that's not how I see it. I'd recommend you discuss how you'd handle it in play with your player, but I guess you already did that so you're all set!
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Hi,
I continue my conversion of DnD to GURPS.
In DnD5 the PCs have personality traits to help the players roleplay. Negative traits are called flaws and are worded like sentences.
These are NOT flaws, but curses, so players MUST roleplay accordingly, i.e. GURPS disadvantages.

Well, you might want to go directly to Divine Curse (p.132) in that case.

Not entirely helpful for determining point value, but when statting bizarre imposed misfortunes it's probably relevant...