Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [MA] Hobby Skill: Feats of Strength

Greetings, all!

Martial Arts (p. 57) lists Hobby Skill (Feats of Strength) as a way to show off - not just in terms of raw strength, but stuff like fire walking, nail-bedding etc. My question is, what other sorts of examples are there that would fit under the skill's umbrella. I'm particularly interested in which ones would go with which attributes.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [MA] Hobby Skill: Feats of Strength

I'm not sure if fire-walking requires any rolls at all. It's a trick based on the low thermal conductivity of ash. Anybody can do it without any training or practice whatsoever.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm not sure if fire-walking requires any rolls at all. It's a trick based on the low thermal conductivity of ash. Anybody can do it without any training or practice whatsoever.
Will to actually dare to try it? With a generous bonus from the massive spectacle and ritualism performed by the people surrounding the character?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Will to actually dare to try it? With a generous bonus from the massive spectacle and ritualism performed by the people surrounding the character?
Yes, maybe Will+4 roll or something. I've done it several times, once you know it's a trick it really isn't very difficult. It certainly doesn't require any rolls to perform the feat itself (which is walking moderately quickly). There's normally no roll to walk in GURPS (which is good).
Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Arm wrestling
Muscle flexing
"Realistic" Breaking Blow
Old 10-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
"Realistic" Breaking Blow
That's Breaking Blow with the Unusual Training perk, canonically I think.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yes, maybe Will+4 roll or something. I've done it several times, once you know it's a trick it really isn't very difficult. It certainly doesn't require any rolls to perform the feat itself (which is walking moderately quickly). There's normally no roll to walk in GURPS (which is good).
Although there are ways to mess it up, like failing to police all the rocks out of your bed of ashes or catching a coal in the hem of your pants and setting them on fire. And you could always trip and fall. A skill roll to see if you suffer a critical failure doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Actually though I think once you have practiced them enough not to suffer a familiarity penalty (a couple hours at most, usually just performing them a couple times will do) most Feats of Strength rolls are effectively Performance rolls. It's not that a (non-critical) failure means the trick didn't work at all, but that you didn't do it well enough for your audience to be *impressed*.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Actually though I think once you have practiced them enough not to suffer a familiarity penalty (a couple hours at most, usually just performing them a couple times will do) most Feats of Strength rolls are effectively Performance rolls. It's not that a (non-critical) failure means the trick didn't work at all, but that you didn't do it well enough for your audience to be *impressed*.
You have to be strong enough to do some of them. I'm not going to be pulling any train engines or anything.

Tags
bed of nails, feats of strength, fire eating, fire walking, hobby skill, martial arts