Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
serleran

Default Munchkin "Bobblehead Edition"

Hello,

Can someone confirm if the release of the Munchkin Bobblehead Edition (a combined pack with Munchkin Fantasy and the Bobblehead figure), originally an exclusive (I believe) to Barnes & Noble came with a translucent red die and not a standard one for Munchkin?

Also, if you know, was the "window" sealed with a single piece of plastic or was the Bobblehead encased?
serleran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Munchkin "Bobblehead Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by serleran View Post
Hello,

Can someone confirm if the release of the Munchkin Bobblehead Edition (a combined pack with Munchkin Fantasy and the Bobblehead figure), originally an exclusive (I believe) to Barnes & Noble came with a translucent red die and not a standard one for Munchkin?

Also, if you know, was the "window" sealed with a single piece of plastic or was the Bobblehead encased?
That die sounds correct. It was not a custom die; just a standard d6 that factory provided.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:30 AM   #3
MIB 9966

It's good to remember that this was an older set, so I don't think the Munchkin head dice were made yet.

The Bobblehead itself is enclosed in a two piece clear plastic shell that slides into and out of the box with the sealed card decks in wells along the side. I don't remember if there was another plastic piece that went over them, but there is no plastic window on the box itself.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
Cloewe

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...lehead-edition
Old 04-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 9966 View Post
It's good to remember that this was an older set, so I don't think the Munchkin head dice were made yet.

The Bobblehead itself is enclosed in a two piece clear plastic shell that slides into and out of the box with the sealed card decks in wells along the side. I don't remember if there was another plastic piece that went over them, but there is no plastic window on the box itself.
I have an abused-but-complete set, and can confirm this information. The only plastic packing is the clamshell itself. My die is translucent red. The rules and cards included are Version 1.1. My notes say the release date was April 2007, though I wouldn't swear to that being accurate.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:25 AM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
My notes say the release date was April 2007, though I wouldn't swear to that being accurate.
That is not accurate. Back then, Munchkin was manufactured at multiple locations across the US and then assembled at a Dallas facility. Many times, excess components from earlier printings were used alongside newly-printed parts to assemble games.

The bobblehead project started in April of 2007 and was one of my first big headaches after I returned to work at the company. Our sales partners made a deal that we then had to "figure out" on the fly. The bobblehead set is one of the biggest reasons that I decided to start sitting in on sales meetings with the larger outlets.

The bobblehead sets arrived at our Austin warehouse with the die, clamshell, box, and bobblehead. Our staff then assembled the decks of cards and rules into those boxes. We hired a crew of temps to help out and banged through thousands of sets over a long weekend in the fall of 2007. I keep thinking it was a holiday weekend, but my memory isn't good enough to nail down an exact date.

These were the earliest DIs that I could find about the bobblehead set:

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/O...in_Bobbleheads

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/D...007/Bobblehead

There may be other entries. I didn't dig all that deep.

Last edited by philreed; 04-29-2018 at 07:08 AM.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
ColBosch

Thanks, Phil.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
serleran

Thank you.

Mine is a bit beat up as well, but missing the front half of the bobblehead cover so it seems I shall need to locate another now. It's encouraging to hear that SJG "banged out thousands" of these as that means getting a replacement is hopefully easy.

Last edited by serleran; 04-30-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added a sentence
serleran is offline   Reply With Quote