Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
PK

Default GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 1: The Pagoda of Worlds

Why can't other planes
Be full of wine and dreamboats
Instead of monsters?
— Alister Morgan, Aristocratic Swashbuckler
Secreted away in the wilderness, a simple monastery surrounds a weak point in reality, where our world connects to several others. For centuries, its monks quietly stood guard over these portals while also offering aid to travelers . . . until something happened. Now it's up our brave explorers to face the deadly and often surprising threats within. It won't be easy, but knowledge, loot, and potential access to other dimensions await those who master GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 1: The Pagoda of Worlds.

Matt Riggsby's newest Dungeon Fantasy work is the first entry in our new Encounters sub-series. "Encounters" are relatively short and simple locations that can be easily dropped into an existing campaign, either as a mini-adventure or side quest. In this case, the party may stumble across the pagoda in the wilderness, be sent there to grab a MacGuffin, or hear about its strange dimensional properties and choose to seek it out. The GM can decide how much forewarning the heroes have, anywhere from full disclosure through going in blind to mistakenly believing the monks are still doing fine.

Of course, what would be the point of a drop-in encounter if it didn't enrich your campaign and surprise the players? In addition to the location and adventure itself, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 1: The Pagoda of Worlds includes six new and interesting monsters (seven if you count the Hopping Ghost and Flying Ghost separately), a new martial-arts-focused option for manuals (from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages), and random wandering monster and loot tables that you can easily tweak for reuse in another adventures.

So let's sum up. We've got an inexpensive supplement written by a great author, which adds exciting challenges that can be dropped into basically any campaign, where it also adds to your bestiary and loot options. Might this just be the most perfect Dungeon Fantasy supplement ever? You tell me.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0342
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-0342_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Pseudonym

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 1: The Pagoda of Worlds

I got it. Have given it a casual glance over, I'm looking forward to reading it closer. I think if it weren't for the dependence on some monsters in Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 3 and a few random treasures, it might integrate somewhat easily into DFRPG as well.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
GM Joe

Yeah, I was surprised it had so many requirements. Seems to be very much something created for existing fans, not for newcomers. I was expecting something that would be useful for newbies.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
demonsbane

I get what you mean GM Joe. However the GURPS DF sub-line still is out there.

And I guess these requirements are easily plugged into the DFRPG.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
Yeah, I was surprised it had so many requirements.
How so? It requires the Basic Set and DF2, all of which are going to be in use if you're going to be playing DF at all, and two of the three monster books. As I see it, it's equivalent to a D&D adventure telling you to have the DMG and the Monster Manual. It's also not a lot more than were required for Mirror of the Fire Demon (where I forgot to indicate Basic as required).

Others are recommended, of course, but not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
However the GURPS DF sub-line still is out there.
This. This is for the GURPS DF line, not the DFRPG. Pagoda of Worlds was completely finished (from this freelancer's point of view, anyway) well before the DFRPG came on the scene and, I suspect, was only published now because the DFRPG took priority over all other GURPS-related projects late last year. The stuff you're seeing now is the GURPS backlog which is now starting to flow again. Checking my records, I see that I did the final review of the PDF a month and a half before I ever saw any files related to the new game. It was not and could not have been written with the DFRPG in mind.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
GM Joe

I guess I should back up and explain myself better. What I meant by "it" was "the first Encounters product, and the first adventure product released since the DFRPG has been in circulation (even if only among backers)."

Without that context (especially the latter), it's of course entirely reasonable to have those requirements. But with the context...well, I was expecting this release to be something that was reliant on either DFRPG or the Basic Set, rather than being something in one of the established lines.

And, to be clear, it's fine that it's in the DF line. It was just a surprise to me because I wasn't expecting it to be.

Last edited by GM Joe; 09-08-2017 at 09:58 AM.
GM Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Bruno

This really isn't the first product after the DFRPG is released - it hasn't been released yet! That's really important. "Just among backers" is "Just among people who are already GURPS fans, and probably got a whole crapton of DF PDFs with their kickstarter reward".

It's also not the first of the Encounters line, it's the first of the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters line. These are different things in the wishlist, and that's really important to keep in mind. The DF X lines are separate from the X lines organizationally, because you can (in general) rely on someone interested in DF to have more of the DF books specifically than someone outside of the DF line to have random GURPS products beyond the Basic Set.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
JMason

Gorramit, I still haven't gotten through my DFRPG pdfs... or the last issue of Pyramid yet! Now I'm going to have to buy this and not read it also ;-)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Gorramit, I still haven't gotten through my DFRPG pdfs... or the last issue of Pyramid yet! Now I'm going to have to buy this and not read it also ;-)
Put them on your phone and squint at them while standing in line at the shops! Just don't do it while walking down the street, we don't want someone walking into traffic because of a PDF.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Pseudonym

I made a review.

Tags
dungeon fantasy