Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
cupbearer

Default Tv action violence in a fantasy low tech setting??

Hi

Ive posted about tv action violence before asking how it changed the game, but failed to mention that im planning to use it in a setting with swords, bows and armor as good as plate.

My plan is to allow a character to use tv action violence a limited number of times per session, at a cost of 1 point per use.

Im just worried that this will make the characters invulnerable, given that they can parry, use tv action violence and then have DR... or that battles will drag on.

Has any one any experience with this rule in a low tech setting??
Old 03-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Tv action violence in a fantasy low tech setting??

I think all the considerations that were brought up in your last thread on this subject still apply in low-tech settings: players are generally unwilling to spend character points for temporary benefits, particularly when they also cost an FP and your next turn. I doubt it will be a problem.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
cupbearer

Hi

You really think the cost of points to use this is so significant? I mean when youre in it and it means you get stabbed or not wot you always choose not ta take the damage?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
You really think the cost of points to use this is so significant? I mean when youre in it and it means you get stabbed or not wot you always choose not ta take the damage?
If it's damage I think I can take? Sure, I'd rather take that than lose an FP and my next turn. Like, if it's going to be only 2 or 3 HP, that's the penalty I'd take on any actions, but even if my skill isn't high enough to deal with that, or I don't have something to outright negate it like High Pain Threshold, I can still choose to take an All-Out Defense or something, which keeps my tactical options open much more than losing my turn entirely.

Basically, if an attack isn't likely to hit one of the critical thresholds for combat (doing more than half my HP and thus a major wound, bringing me down to 1/3rd HP or lower for half Move and Dodge, below 0 HP for unconsciousness checks, or below any -HP breakpoint for a death check), I would really prefer to have the option to do something on the next turn. Losing an entire turn is actually pretty bad in GURPS combat, at least if you're at all outnumbered or out-tacticed. Losing that turn can, quite often, set you up for worse hurt than just taking the hit would have.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #5
Tomsdad

Yep what Kelly Pedersen said

The thing is with TV action violence is really depends on what you're getting hit by.

For me the quintessential example is the A-team, everyone's firing rifles at each other and there's no body armour.

In GURPS terms that means any hit is either going to cripple or even destroy a limb, hit the over penetration limit on the torso with a nasty bleed pen, or be much worse in the vitals, head or neck.

I.e both in terms of long and short term effects about the best you can hope for is dropping to 0 hp.

So well worth an FP etc to avoid (does TV violence cost CP*?)

In a fantasy / historic setting you'll need a equivalent threat to entice invoking the rule.

I think there's two ways you could go:

1). have massive damage and/or make DR rare. So everyone is one hit away from losing

2). really go to town (possibly overly so) on the dangers of low TL medicine and wound care of even small injuries.

Ironically doubling down on these is likely overly gritty for a TV violence fantasy campaign! However it might well fit a fantasy campaign where the threats are huge but the heroes have a habit of "walking between the raindrops".

I guess the big question here is why do you want this rule in your game?

*Ah Ok I see it's a tweak. I get a bit leery of CP costs for something your thinking will come in a lot, it risk just turning into a CP tax per session. I agree with Kelly Pedersen it's often one the players are unwilling to pay. i.e if you want this rule to be used because you like the idea of how it will shape combat don't disincentive it's use by costing it so high.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-09-2018 at 12:36 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
Hi

Ive posted about tv action violence before asking how it changed the game, but failed to mention that im planning to use it in a setting with swords, bows and armor as good as plate.

My plan is to allow a character to use tv action violence a limited number of times per session, at a cost of 1 point per use.
?
A point of what?
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:51 AM   #7
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
A point of what?
CP I think?
Old 03-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #8
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
For me the quintessential example is the A-team, everyone's firing rifles at each other and there's no body armour.
I remember one episode where the A-Team shoots at a helicopter and it blows up in mid-air. Then it crashes to the ground and blows up again. Then the bad guys crawl out completely unharmed.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #9
Lord Azagthoth

In Warhammer we used Fate Points.

You could make Fate Point as an advantage which cost x CP for using it y times per scenario (or add the Limited Use limitation to it).

This way, the players are limited in its use and do not have to pay separately for each use and the GM can award them with extra Fate Points for good roleplaying.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #10
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I remember one episode where the A-Team shoots at a helicopter and it blows up in mid-air. Then it crashes to the ground and blows up again. Then the bad guys crawl out completely unharmed.
But dazed enough to stagger about a bit and be set up for slo-mo flying tackle around the shoulders? :-)

(I seem to remember that was generally how people finally got taken out*)

*well that and cabbages fired by BA's jury rigged cabbage gun

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-09-2018 at 07:23 AM.