Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #11
VonKatzen
Banned

Default Re: Eidetic Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
No, it exists as written, both levels, in the real world.
Not according to any study I've read or any psychometrician who's work I've ever read.

There are some people who are good at memorizing trivia, some people have a very good autobiographical memory (limited to broad strokes - NOT details), some people can memorize pages of text, some people can remember dots on a page holographically. In every single recorded instance I've ever come across it has been limited to a specific field or type of memory, and was often contrasted with a normal memory (or even poor memory or mental retardation) in many other areas. In some cases it required consistent rote training (as in many trivia experts), in others it seems purely neurological but there is essentially no evidence whatsoever for an eidetic memory, much less a photographic one.

Eidetic memory is essentially an urban myth. It's not 'rare', it's imaginary. It might be appropriate for Batman comics, but not a realistic treatment of human mental capacities. As-written it is too broad and basically based on these myths or an overgeneralization of real cases. People who have generally good memories seem to have minds which are better at making connexions and operating efficiently. This is essentially (and almost entirely correlated with in studies) a higher IQ. There are probably good physiological reasons for this - the brain does not store 'data' like a computer. It is associational and depends on sub-processes of the different parts of the brain in any particular area. People with fantastic memory for certain details have an unusual or hypertrophic development. This is perfectly reflected by an Aspected version of it, possibly combined with Talents. But as-written these Advantages are unrealistic. A demographically realistic version would have not only the Aspected limitation, but also be tied to various Disadvantages and Quirks. Some trivia experts can't remember what they were going to the store to buy.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rs-to-be-a-ph/
http://www.slate.com/articles/health..._syndrome.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...graphic-memory
https://www.psychologytoday.com/arti...graphic-memory
https://curiosity.com/topics/photogr...ist-curiosity/

Last edited by VonKatzen; 03-13-2018 at 09:44 PM.
VonKatzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonKatzen View Post
Not according to any study I've read or any psychometrician who's work I've ever read.
You may want to re-read what the two levels of Eidetic Memory grant in Gurps and specifically note the lack of many things ascribed in common usage of these words that are not present in the Gurps advantages of these names.

Last edited by Fred Brackin; 03-13-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #13
VonKatzen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You may want to re-read what the two levels of Eidetic Memory grant in Gurps and specifically note the lack of many things ascribed in common usage of these words that are not present in the Gurps advantages of these names.
I think they're fine as written if they're much more limited, like I said. I just don't think they're accurate being as general as they are. People who have a good general memory have more efficient mental processes and better connexion forming, which warrants a higher IQ. Basically, if you want to have a freakish memory in some area you can have an Aspected Eidetic Memory, but if you want to have a generally good memory buy more IQ. A very good general memory that isn't one of these Savant abilities is connected with a superior ability to both recall and use information, whereas simply being able to recall insane amounts of details is linked to particular subjects and does not indicate a generally higher IQ. Some people may have both - that guy that learned Icelandic in a few days, for example, is pretty smart in general. But the Eidetic and Photographic memory are products of neurological hypertrophy, whereas a fantastic memory in general is just a product of a better brain.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonKatzen View Post
I think they're fine as written if they're much more limited, like I said. I just don't think they're accurate being as general as they are. .
They aren't very general and provide none of the benefits you attribute to urban legends.

However, what they do provide is different from a simple boost to IQ. If Eidetic Memory was only a +5 to IQ to remember things and Photographic was a +10 you might be right but those would be excessively high to be replaced by a boost to IQ.

What they do provide is qualitative differences to memory. Eidetic grants automatic recall of general events that normal people get only on an IQ roll. Then specific details may be recalled on an IQ roll and other people don't get that at all. Then need to take notes for that sort of recall.

Photographic is a level beyond that with specific details recalled automatically and reminders from the players or GM about anything they might have forgotten.

The +5 or +10 to IQ when learning skills was actually not connected to any game mechanic until Social Engineering: Back to School.

None of this is game mechanically done by simple IQ.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #15
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
What they do provide is qualitative differences to memory. Eidetic grants automatic recall of general events that normal people get only on an IQ roll. Then specific details may be recalled on an IQ roll and other people don't get that at all. Then need to take notes for that sort of recall.
Back to School says normal people get to roll IQ-5 for specific details.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
AlexanderHowl

How many people actually have Back to School though? If it is not a hardback or a major product like DF or Spaceships, it is a fairly esoteric source.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #17
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
How many people actually have Back to School though? If it is not a hardback or a major product like DF or Spaceships, it is a fairly esoteric source.
Nonetheless it's published rules. And I think you might be surprised at how many people here have any given sourcebook.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:50 AM   #18
VonKatzen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I do. I am very big on training and skill upkeep rules, so it was an automatic buy for me.