Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2015, 12:34 AM   #61
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: GURPS supplements that you'll like read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
In any series of books, there must always be a worst example. Other than Magic's copy/paste issues, I consider Ultratech the most messed up 4th ed. book.
I too would love a corrected version, official or kindly made by fan(s). I only wish I had the attention to detail that many posters here have.
IMHO UT is troubled to a large extend by it coming out before HT. So now much of its stuff is obsolete and relatively weak. This is not normal. UT stuff shouldn't be so inferior to HT stuff, otherwise what's the point?
Old 06-27-2015, 12:56 AM   #62
lvalero

I would love to see a Gurps: Power of the Magic where every spell of Magic is reconstructed as a Power.

A pure DF continent that is not Yrth. Maybe it can be implemented with a chain of Pyramid Articles!

A new look on old advantages, maybe changing its name adding some limitations / enhancements and explaining the advantage in a interesting way. Some games uses the concept of "tree of feats" that could be interesting also to see implemented in Gurps.

Any supplement to help model Naruto / Dragon Ball / Saint Seiya fantasy martial arts techniques and the "animesque" touch will also be very appreciated.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:29 AM   #63
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Dungeon Fantasy Monsters III: Monsters That Will Be Used Almost Constantly by Almost Everyone in Almost Every Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Or, the classics. Go through mythology and find those monsters who wound up in Monsters & Treasure. Work from the mythological tales to make sure they're GURPS-native.
Yes, this! We've got the rats and the wolves already in DF2, skeletons in Magic, and orcs/goblins/ogres in DF3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
A pure DF continent that is not Yrth. Maybe it can be implemented with a chain of Pyramid Articles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblynByte View Post
I would love to see updates of the 3e books Wizards, Warriors, and Rogues. Books stuffed with templates.
I like these ideas, too.

Though I'm still hoping for GURPS Furries.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:51 AM   #64
Skarg

1) GURPS Basic Medieval - Like the Basic set, minus anything above TL 3 or maybe 4, and with a few added nice bits added in (more weapons, armor, maneuvers, and combat and injury rules), so it's a stand-alone sourcebook for doing TL2-4 campaigns, with no noise from other genres, with everything compiled and easily learned in one context. So new players who know they want to play GURPS in a TL2-4 setting can learn the core rules without having to read around all the stuff about Psi and Supers and Sci Fi and so on. And so veterans such as myself can have a reference to learn and find the 4e versions of rules without having getting distracted.

2) GURPS Realism - So Kromm's said GURPS is just realism-based... what if we do want to be more realistic and detailed? I'd like tweaks and rules to go further in that direction. Particularly, again, for TL2-4. We already have High Tech and Tactical Shooting for TL5-7.

3) GURPS Vehicle Combat - It'd be nice to have the equivalent of GURPS Advanced Tacical Combat (which I consider to be the very best system for doing detailed fairly realistic TL2-4 tactical combat) for various types of vehicles. I'd even prefer multiple books (GURPS Dogfights, GURPS Naval Combat, GURPS (ground) Vehicle Mayhem) if they were well done and resulted in good detailed tactical games. GURPS Autoduel did not let me reproduce the first chase scenes in Mad Max and The Road Warrior - I still want that. I want to be able to run a GURPS Red Baron campaign, or GURPS Starfighters, where the dogfights are as good as a sword & axe melee. Similarly, GURPS Vehicles was insanely detailed for building everything, but gave me no really comparably good way to play out a tank battle.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:24 AM   #65
scc

Quote:
I would love to see a Gurps: Power of the Magic where every spell of Magic is reconstructed as a Power.
Not going to happen, it would require too much work for too little pay off, that's if it's even possible.

Quote:
Um, what? DF is already not set on Yrth
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:43 AM   #66
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post

2) GURPS Realism - So Kromm's said GURPS is just realism-based... what if we do want to be more realistic and detailed? I'd like tweaks and rules to go further in that direction. Particularly, again, for TL2-4. We already have High Tech and Tactical Shooting for TL5-7.

Actually yes, we have tactical shooting, technical grappling, I think there's scope for Tactical/Technical fighting
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #67
acrosome

Post-Apocalypse. It's a pretty important setting, and yes you can argue that it exists already in various pieces, but I really want it. And it should include a gritty realism setting, too, not just Gamma-World over-the-topness.

Banestorm map set. Nice ones. I know the official position of SJG is to keep the geography somewhat vague to allow GMs freedom to impose their own visions upon the setting, but I personally would like something more Harn like. And frankly I think this would benefit SJG. I'm convinced that GURPS and Banestorm don't sell as well as they might because a lot of gamers can find much more well-developed fantasy settings elsewhere. This may surprise a lot of you but many gamers aren't like us. They want a neat little adventure module that's pre-made. The Basic Set/Low-Tech/Martial Arts/Banestorm set should be pushed harder as a complete game setting. You probably don't even need to include Martial Arts, there, either- perhaps list it as the "first big upgrade."

A gritty realism version of Monster Hunters. I have long proposed re-publishing Black Ops as a more gritty realism setting (i.e. without superhuman PCs), since Monster Hunters now exists for the over-the-top fanboys. Madness Dossier is awesome, but it's more of a cosmic horror setting.

Last edited by acrosome; 06-27-2015 at 09:06 AM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #68
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Which original story - Masao Maruyama's, Ray Bradbury's, or somebody else's? (Wikipedia doesn't return any hits for "weird circus".)
None of the above. I assume the OP wanted a generic listing of characters that make up a weird circus. The two characters in GURPS Villains are from a Christine Morgan short story whose title I can't remember for the life of me.I was just very surprised by the fact that something I read on the internet got included in a GURPS book.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #69
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Not going to happen, it would require too much work for too little pay off, that's if it's even possible.
I too now understand it to be a noble pursuit with a fruitless outcome.

If you DID take EVERY spell in Magic and break it into tiny bits and reconstruct it with Powers, then at the end you'd have the same spells that you already have.

Someone was kind enough to explain this to me in PM not to long ago and Im actually grateful for it.

Whatever the reason that you would WANT such a thing (for me it was wanting a Spell Design System) that thing is already available to you, you just have to do the work. Having converted a few spells, I can tell you its no small task.

Theres what 850 spells in Magic? Thats a lot of work and what you end up with is those same 850 spells. The bonus that you would get in extensibility doesnt really make up for the effort.

Now that said, If someone were to develop another magic system (including Alchemy and Enchantment) that was based on powers that might be interesting, but it would have to be amazingly different and amazingly good.

See the problem (I think) with replacing GURPS:Magic, even if its not quite your cuppa, is that it has a slew of great strengths not the least of which are:

• Very Comprehensive - pretty much any spell you could want is in there.
  • Well organized - The college breakdown and PreReq chains, although not to everyones tastes, is there and does provide some structure.
  • Has Bonus support - In the form of Magical Styles and other spells written for that system in supplements and Pyramid Articles.
  • Its Already DONE - This I think is probably its greatest strength.
Of course, this is GURPS. There is Always room for another this or that, simply because variety is what GURPS provides. It says so right on the tin. "ANYTHING YOU WANT" "ANY WORLD YOU CAN IMAGINE".

For somethng REALLY unique and different (Frex RPM) there will always be room, but if all you want to do is re-invent or even re-edit the wheel, that may not be the most fertile ground to plow.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #70
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Um, what? DF is already not set on Yrth
What he wants is a fleshed out DF setting that isn't lifted from some other game's rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Post-Apocalypse. It's a pretty important setting, and yes you can argue that it exists already in various pieces, but I really want it.
Long have we lamented this lack.

Quote:
And it should include a gritty realism setting, too, not just Gamma-World over-the-topness.
But, but... MY GAMMA WORLDS! I'd like a hard grit After the Fall with a Pyramid dedicated to Gamma World/Fallouting it.

Even though I can run Fallout in my sleep, I'd still like to see how PK would do it.

Quote:
A gritty realism version of Monster Hunters. I have long proposed re-publishing Black Ops as a more gritty realism setting (i.e. without superhuman PCs), since Monster Hunters now exists for the over-the-top fanboys. Madness Dossier is awesome, but it's more of a cosmic horror setting.
I'd like to see a Pyramid article or two dedicated to bringing Black-Ops into 4e... because I am very lazy.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rules, supplements