Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #51
RyanW

Default Re: GURPS supplements that you'll like read

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
In 476 no one thought anything unusual had happened. The Ostrogoth king didn't name another powerless figurehead "emperor" after he forced the previous one to step down. Life went on. No one thought anything special had happened.
[Anti-pedantry correction]
That period starting at the departure of effective Roman authority from northwestern Europe and ending with the arrival in numbers of Norse raiders.
[/Anti-pedantry correction]

Happy now? ;)
Old 06-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #52
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
In most piracy settings, you will also tend to have weak law enforcement and the potential for pirates to be able to (at least temporarily) outgun local naval forces. Possibly complicated by the pirates being at least part-time naval forces themselves (as per the Caribbean in the "Golden Age" of Piracy).
And must be able to survive for months away from port/station. Not something realistic without spin gravity, heavy shielding, and plenty of stored rations.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:15 PM   #53
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblynByte View Post
I would love to see updates of the 3e books Wizards, Warriors, and Rogues. Books stuffed with templates.
If you're not aware of Historical Figures, you'll want to be. Templates to be used for all(?) your NPC's occupations and PC's mundane backgrounds.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:59 AM   #54
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antumbra View Post
GURPS Technomancer Update - I don't think there's anyone who's read Technomancer who doesn't want this. Not just an update to 2015, but also a look at the possible future of the setting, perhaps in Pyramid or as another supplement. A small section on using or introducing variant magic - such as RPM - would be very welcome as well. ....
Have you checked out Monster hunters 5: xenology yet, it's got some stuff there on that kind of theme

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I do, too, but the main WWII stuff is in High-Tech, and the rest is easy to convert from the G:WWII stats using High-Tech as a guideline. There's a fair amount of Cold War stuff in High-Tech too. I'd love these books, but we don't need them as badly as we needed Pulp Guns or Adventure Guns.
Oh agree, its just I'm lazy (and can't work the ballistics tables), an ultimately being lazy and happy to buy list books instead of making my own lists, make me a good customer!

Also I like the little bits of blurb that goes with each gun and the notes on the variants.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-27-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #55
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antumbra View Post
My own plan, when I get the chance to run it, is to incorporate RPM as a newly created/discovered formulation of magic - a form that anyone can use, where Magery (RPM) is a function of learning. Discovered at the turn of the new millennium (or 2012, as I want to keep it pretty recent), and sending massive shocks through the setting as the thaumaturgic edge of the US is upset. Then advance the traditional magic known in Technomancer - possibly RPM Crossroads leading to a breakthrough that publically uncovers the Gate college, though I'd save that for an adventure as it's a huge, huge deal.

With the Technomancy from MH5, perhaps RPM is an offshoot of the increasingly complex Mananet - the discovery of computer code that can alter Oz flow without a Mage's involvement.

That then is worked into Technomancy and RPM is developed from studying that.

It'd all be a very new thing, with researchers hogging university supercomputers to try and get them to pull rabbits out of disk drives, and forums full of "manahackers" bodging together spell compilers and ritual libraries.
This looks like something that would attract the attention of the Laundry -- and give them apoplexy.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #56
GodBeastX

Ultratech 2.

Pyramid has been extending Ultratech though, but I feel like a lot of Ultratech could have been better, more in line with the quality of High Tech book.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #57
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
This looks like something that would attract the attention of the Laundry -- and give them apoplexy.
Using RPM Technomancy for the Laundry looks very practical, if you set some limits.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #58
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Ultratech 2.

Pyramid has been extending Ultratech though, but I feel like a lot of Ultratech could have been better, more in line with the quality of High Tech book.
In any series of books, there must always be a worst example. Other than Magic's copy/paste issues, I consider Ultratech the most messed up 4th ed. book.
I too would love a corrected version, official or kindly made by fan(s). I only wish I had the attention to detail that many posters here have.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #59
gruundehn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
In most piracy settings, you will also tend to have weak law enforcement and the potential for pirates to be able to (at least temporarily) outgun local naval forces. Possibly complicated by the pirates being at least part-time naval forces themselves (as per the Caribbean in the "Golden Age" of Piracy).
And often the tacit acceptance by the local "ruling class" as well. Look at New Orleans in the early 19th Century.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #60
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruundehn View Post
And often the tacit acceptance by the local "ruling class" as well. Look at New Orleans in the early 19th Century.
If the powers that be can make money off halting piracy, then they will. If they can make money off not halting it, then they will do that instead.

Though I figured in the age of piracy, it often was more of taking needed goods from whoever had them. If those were pirates, then you just had to swallow your pride for the survival of the colony/outpost.

Tags
rules, supplements