Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
thulben

Default GM as Patron (or other social ability)?

I thought I'd read some alternate rule where instead of an NPC being the PC's Patron that it was possible to have the GM be the Patron instead (as kind of a metagame ability). To further muddy the waters, it may not have been the Patron Advantage, but some other social advantage. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's driving me mildly nuts.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:04 AM   #2
dbm

Default Re: GM as Patron (or other social ability)?

The only thing vaguely like that I can think of is the Common Sense advantage where the GM will give you a warning if your character is about to do something stupid if you make an IQ roll? (Characters p43)
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Common Sense with Active lets you ask the GM in advance if any given action is STUPID.

There's probably no reason in a sufficiently fourth wall breaking game to not allow taking players or the GM as Patrons though, probably as a version of Divine Favor.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
knarf

The Pact limitation is mention in GURPS Powers as allowing you to perhaps have a Pact with the GM. Rather than an in-game pact with an in-game deity or power, it's a metagame pact that enforces a genre convention or some other player/GM-level agreement.
knarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarf View Post
The Pact limitation is mention in GURPS Powers as allowing you to perhaps have a Pact with the GM. Rather than an in-game pact with an in-game deity or power, it's a metagame pact that enforces a genre convention or some other player/GM-level agreement.
This is what I was thinking of! Breaking the Fourth Wall for a contract with the GM and receiving a discount on an Advantage as a result. Thanks much!
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote