Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #2071
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

For some odd reason, that link isn't working for me. I think it's my computer. But at a guess, is it the Tim Curry, "SPAAAACE!" quote?
Old 08-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #2072
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
For some odd reason, that link isn't working for me. I think it's my computer. But at a guess, is it the Tim Curry, "SPAAAACE!" quote?
I pasted it in using my cell phone, and sometimes that gets a bit weird.

Replaced it with a YouTube paste from my home computer. It should work, now. :)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #2073
Flyndaran
Untagged

Cool. Thanks.
Weird that he had to figure out that a backpack jet is more stable and pragmatic than one on each leg.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #2074
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Have the russian circular ships been mentioned yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5AUGq4Voeg

During the flurry of ship building in the late 1800's, Russia built two battleships that were nearly circular, figuring on maximizing the area per perimeter (and thus armor thickness). The two ships were untested in battle, with some controvesy as to how effective they would have been in battle. They certainly weren't good at maneuver, but they weren't supposed to be. They severed for over 25 years.

Next time you need a wacky steam-punk vehicle, remember Russia's perfectly round ships. With six propellers. And a single turret in the exact center. Just look at the picture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...ale_model).jpg

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #2075
L.J.Steele

Speaking of the Russians -- there's conflicting accounts of the Russian nuclear accident last Thurs. Rumor is the Russians were testing a "nuclear-powered cruise missile that they call Burevestnik." The same missile is known by NATO members as SCC-X-Skyfall." Apparently the U.S. did try to develop a nuclear-powered cruise missile in the 1960s but Project Pluto, as it was called, was scrapped because it was considered too dangerous.

"Think of it like a mini Chernobyl on a missile," MIT's Narang said. "It's an air-breathing cruise missile and they put an unshielded mini nuclear reactor on it. Obviously, that's pretty bats--- insane. We tried this in the 1960s and gave up for a reason, and this is why. It's very risky."

"Is it dangerous? Yes!" Lewis said. "I think the phrase 'flying nuclear reactor' tells you all you need to know. You've got air blowing through an open nuclear reactor and spewing out the back."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/r...-beat-n1041721
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:36 AM   #2076
dcarson

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-mys...-just-deepened

A shallow lake in the Himalayas with hundreds of human skeletons. They used to think that some disaster like a avalanche or flood caused it. They did DNA and isotope analysis of some.

Quote:
The largest consisted of 23 individuals with DNA similar to that of people from present-day India. Apart from this, they seemed genetically unrelated.

The second-largest group, comprising 14 individuals, was a huge surprise. Their DNA was most similar to people in present-day Crete and Greece.

Finally, the one remaining individual had DNA suggesting a Southeast Asian origin.
The isotope analysis has them dated over centuries.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #2077
Flyndaran
Untagged

That the latest group died around 1800 barely a century before official discovery is quite strange. No local knowledge or even legends for something that recent.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #2078
thorr-kan

Really? REALLY?

Who thought this was a good idea?!

World's largest occult library has a public online archive:
https://boingboing.net/2019/08/21/gn...gnowledge.html
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #2079
Daigoro

Cute name.

The library has begun to scan and post its core collection to an online archive called The Hermetically Open Archive.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #2080
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Cute name.

The library has begun to scan and post its core collection to an online archive called The Hermetically Open Archive.
I know, right?!

I wish I was that clever.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox