Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default New Limitation: Must Have Sacrificed?

Performing a sacrifice is a very normal and common religious act among polytheists, and can be a prerequisite Limitation for some Powers in a GURPS Powers-based magic system.

But what would a Sacrifice Limitation actually be like?

I mean, it's not so much a new Limitation, as a variant of existing ones, or a hybrid of existing ones.

It smells a bit of Trigger, and a bit of Preparation Required (not Immediate Preparation Required - you can make the sacrifice ahead of time, and usually you should).

But how much should it be, how big a percentage Limitation? GURPS Characters has -30% Preparation Required for 10 minutes and -50% for 1 hour, but if we include the material cost of the sacrificed animal (or person, as the case may be), consumables or nonconsumable items), it could be a bit higher. Trigger's -20% sounds extreme, so maybe just go with -40% total for the Sacrifice Limitation?

but is there a way to make Sacrifice flexible?

Ideally so that you can have any of 3 Limitations:
Sacrifice Ahead of Time
Sacrifice Immediately
No Sacrifice, so the character "owes" the god, which is expressed as a limited-time period of bad fortune.

"Bad fortune" sounds like a period of Unluckiness, but ideally it should be Aspected Unluckiness, with the Aspect being dependent upon the portfolio of the polytheistic god involved. How can that be done by RAW?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: New Limitation: Must Have Sacrificed?

It could be described as a Required Disadvantage -15 point Trademark for animal sacrifice. (Powers p. 23)

Powers (p. 27) suggests a -10% Divine modifier for evil gods could require Vow to kill every night of the full moon. Seems harsh for 10% to me, but it is just once a month, not every time a power is used.

Another way to model it would be Costs Fatigue, required to use Energy Reserve with Special Recharge. That allows the sacrifice to be done ahead of time, but I don't think it works exactly for what you are describing.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote