Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
AmesJainchill

Default Re: [G4e] Repeated Attempts for First-Aid Skill Rolls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I wonder what would be a fair penalty to bandage your own wounds?
I'd apply penalties for the wound's position on the body and a penalty based on encumbrance.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaraq View Post
In our games, we always ruled that First Aid is exactly that, first aid. If you failed the First Aid check, any attempts after the ~30 minutes failed attempt (we play Low Tech games) wouldn't be first aid anymore.
How long after the fight do you let them try F-A?
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Edges

I have used First Aid rolls to stop bleeding, the rules for additional penalties based on wound severity, and allowed repeated attempts.

After every minute, the medic rolls modified F-A to see if the hole is patched and the subject rolls modified HT to see if HP are lost. If it's 30-second checks from MA's severe bleeding, the subject is rolling twice for every roll of the medic (unless the medic succeeds by 5 in which case, I say he finished in 30 seconds and the subject only rolls once).

It worked great and was fun. It continues the excitement and tension even after the fight is over. Can you bandage him in time? Will be bleed to death in your arms? Who can say?

I also grant a +1 for an unskilled assistant or a +2 for a skilled one (if they make an unmodified check). Sort of a put-pressure-here-while-I-try-to-get-a-clamp-on-this-artery type of thing.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Bandaging doesn't require a roll, unless you're trying to use the Time Spent rules to do it quickly. It's automatic, and it's assume that that's the first minute of first aid.
Hmm, I never noticed a disparity before. The First Aid skill (p. B195) explicitly says "Make a skill roll to halt bleeding...", but Bandaging (p. B424) doesn't mention a skill roll until it gets to, "Using the Bleeding rule (p. 420), someone who ... receives a successful First Aid roll within one minute of his injury loses no HP to bleeding."

Bandaging only requires a skill roll then if the optional bleeding rules are in effect?
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Bandaging only requires a skill roll then if the optional bleeding rules are in effect?
As far as I can tell even if you are using the bleeding rules, straight up bandaging (no roll) still restores one HP - it just doesn't necessarily stop bleeding unless you make the First Aid roll.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
PK

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I had apparently let a third edition rule take root in my brain. In the old edition, an unskilled person could bandage for 1 HP, but using the First-Aid skill potentially healed more.

In fourth edition, both effective bandaging (which stops bleeding and restores 1 HP) and full trauma treatment (which does the above, plus potentially recovers more HP) require successful First Aid rolls.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I had apparently let a third edition rule take root in my brain. In the old edition, an unskilled person could bandage for 1 HP, but using the First-Aid skill potentially healed more.

In fourth edition, both effective bandaging (which stops bleeding and restores 1 HP) and full trauma treatment (which does the above, plus potentially recovers more HP) require successful First Aid rolls.
You're fired. Just...just get your stuff and leave.

:D Just kidding!

So, my summery post (#3)was all good? Jut making sure.

What about my questions about the physician skill (#4)? B424 explicitly states a "Physician roll" can be made to restore 1 additional HP per week at TL3. TL1-3 are included on the table on B425. But, the Physician skill doesn't exist below TL5...?
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
You're fired. Just...just get your stuff and leave.

:D Just kidding!

So, my summery post (#3)was all good? Jut making sure.

What about my questions about the physician skill (#4)? B424 explicitly states a "Physician roll" can be made to restore 1 additional HP per week at TL3. TL1-3 are included on the table on B425. But, the Physician skill doesn't exist below TL5...?
Actually the text says "At TL4 and below this skill does not exist in most game worlds." (Emphasis mine)
Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #19
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Actually the text says "At TL4 and below this skill does not exist in most game worlds." (Emphasis mine)
Exactly. I've seen way too many weird campaign worlds to rule anything out. Plus the GM might allow Esoteric Healing to do the same thing, or assume that a hedge witch with Naturalist and Herb Lore is just as good, etc. So it's important to have those values there, in case they do apply in your game.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Esoteric Medicine or Pharmacy (Herbal) are the realistic skills that a would-be physician might have at low TLs. The Basic Set seems to leave deciding just how effective this substitution is as an exercise for the reader (explicitly so in the case of Esoteric Medicine). Though perhaps the TL 1-4 stats on the Medical Help Table are supposed to represent either an herbalist or a practitioner of a functional form of Esoteric Medicine.

Low Tech might have something for us here?

Tags
rules interpretation, rules question