Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2005, 10:52 PM   #21
Silverknife

Default Re: deckplans of a Infinity Conveyor anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
Writing from my PDA, if this shows up in the wrong forum, I'm sorry.

You people are sick puppies. Not as sick as Six Gun Sam, who brought up Sliders. He knows what it is . . . he's just evil!

I went to several RV sites to find floor plans for their RVs when I was working on the CMP Sick Puppy (for a different web forum), but I've used those plans as conveyors before.
One of my favorite games is when I zap party members from various worlds into one with a multi-dimensional RV.
I did think about that, but while the chassis is metal the frame of an RV is usually wood. Still, firmly attached to the chassis should be sufficient for the conveyor to transport the entire vehicle and the occupants.

Jack Chalker's G.O.D. Inc. has some excellent suggestions for running a parallel world campaign. One company has a projector, being powered by an alternate dimension that is pure energy. They've set up a 'railroad' between worlds with designated switching points and receving stations to market products among all the dimensions. But there can only be one projector...

As for the Horses thing, I was thinking in regards to the Monty Python skit and the havoc a pair of mechanical horses might have on followers. I intended no harm to actual living horses.

Last edited by Silverknife; 06-02-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Silverknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:19 AM   #22
WineShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverknife
A Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Rocky Mountain Edition has a gross vehicle weight rating of 6100 lbs, of which maximum payload is 1502 lbs.

A parachronic unit rated for 6200 lbs would weigh 31 lbs., take up 0.62 cubic feet of space and cost $124,000. (Maximum payload now 1471 lbs)

Towing capacity of the Jeep is 3500 lbs. A parachronic slave unit built just for the trailer rated for 3600 lbs would weight 18 lbs, take up 0.36 cubic feet and cost $72,000. (Excluding weight of the trailer, payload now 3482 lbs)

Or we can add the towing capacity to the unit inside the Jeep. This gives us a parachronic unit rated at (6100+3500) 9600 lbs capacity, weighing in at 48 lbs and filling 0.96 cubic feet of space at a cost of $192,000. (Payload of jeep excluding trailer now 1454 lbs)
All this is spot on, but for an older version of parachronic travel. It has changed significantly from Vehicles. In 4e and Infinite Worlds, new numbers are used for power generation and it is no longer "negligible." That, and the much more expensive conveyor cost. ($10M + $10M/ton for the cheap ones!)

The pulsed power system for a 3.1 ton (6200 lb) vehicle should weigh 3100 lbs (3.1 tons*200kJ*5 lbs). That's the part that hurts. (If you are Centrum, the unit weight drops to 1550 lbs)

If 50.5% of the mass of any conveyor is used up in the generator (.5%) and the power source (50%) you have quite a challenge. If you only throw a generator in and power it externally, you have a whole lot more useful weight.

I've even considered separating the power storage for the generator pulse and the fuel cell used to charge it into separate values. Or change the weight per kJ value to get more efficient power systems. Anything to make vehicles more practical as conveyors. As it is, they are horribly inefficient.

WineShark.com

Last edited by WineShark; 06-03-2005 at 12:20 PM.
WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #23
WineShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzilla
I want one of those. I wish it had some internal shots and I could use to make some deck plans. Anyway a neat idea for a exploring vehicle.
Ask and ye shall receive!

These aren't perfect for deck plans, but they give you some idea of the BV206 model and its interior cab and trailer.

BV206 Cab
BV206 Trailer
A civilian emergency version.
Detailed BvS10 Stats

WineShark.com
WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:05 AM   #24
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark
Ask and ye shall receive!

These aren't perfect for deck plans, but they give you some idea of the BV206 model and its interior cab and trailer.

BV206 Cab
BV206 Trailer
A civilian emergency version.
Detailed BvS10 Stats
Thanks that gives me a place to start from.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #25
Silverknife

With extreme power requirements, you may want to look at getting a static conveyor, essentially a flatbed with a loading ramp and just carry a regular vehicle or vehicles, returning to the conveyor to return.

Or concider installing capacitor banks and have generators at each end ready to charge the conveyor. A secondary generator can provide power for other systems and act as an auxillary slow charger for the capacitor bank.

Just a thought!

Tags
infinite worlds