Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
lvalero

Default Help with ability: Deceptive combat movement

I want to model the following ability for my DF campaing. Please feel free to point other alternatives and/or criticize the build.

Deceptive combat movement [3]

During combat you can move deceptively making enemies harder to hit you. Choose one enemy each round, he has a -1 on all rolls to hit you. You can't use this ability if you can't dodge (for example if you can't see the attack, you are pinned, or if you have made an all-out attack) or if you are stunned, not standing up or flat footed. This ability doesn't work against mosnters that can "see" through a non-vision sense such as "Tremorsense" or "Hearing". As it is not a real invisiblity (you can be seen!) the "See invisible" and "True sight" spells can't counter it. Spells/Abilities that target an area and not you are not afffected by this ability.

The build is as follows:

Obscure Vision 1 [2] plus Defensive (+50%), Only for targetting (-20%), Extended: Infravision as well as normal vision (+20%), Accesibility: Only if you can dodge and you are standing up and not flat footed (-20%), Accesibility: Designate only one enemy per round that you can see (-30%), Cosmic: Noncosmic forms of see invisible or true sight don't work against this form of Obscure (+50%)

It feels a little cheap! However Obscure + Defensive + Only for targetting is very cheap!

Is it right?
Old 01-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Brandy

Default Re: Help with ability: Deceptive combat movement

Here's a prior discussion on this. In it, I propose Chameleon as the base power for this ability rather than obscure. Here's my proposal:

Quote:
It's roughly like a character having some partial level of invisibility. Invisibility that affects a character's primary targeting sense (like Invisibility to normal sight works on most people) gives +9 to all stealth rolls and -6 to hit.

A leveled advantage giving a portion of these advantages doesn't seem out of the question.

5 levels of the advantage should cost a little less than 40 points though.

If Invisibility were described as +6 to stealth when moving and +12 to stealth when standing still (instead of a flat +9), then it would be essentially equivalent to Chameleon 6. However, Invisibility needs to add switchable -- invisibility isn't switchable by default, but chameleon is.

Chameleon 5 per level
Misdirecting: Even when you are successfully spotted by an opponent, your ability makes your precise location hard to determine. All opponent's to-hit rolls are -1 / level of Chameleon. +50%.

A maximum of 5 levels of this advantage can be purchased; Chameleon 6 with Misdirecting is equivalent to Invisibility with the switchable enhancement.

I think Chameleon is a better base power for this than Obscure, because Chameleon has a personal effect and Obscure by definition affects an area.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
lvalero

Your reasoning about Invisibility sounds sensible to me. However, in this ability, I don't like the bonus to stealth that comes with chameleon/invisibility.

Anyway, I will consider it. Thanks for your answer!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
Your reasoning about Invisibility sounds sensible to me. However, in this ability, I don't like the bonus to stealth that comes with chameleon/invisibility.

Anyway, I will consider it. Thanks for your answer!
In a different thread, I suggested that Misdirecting Only would be a +0% enhancement to Chameleon.

Quote:
Misdirecting Only: You are easily seen (and therefore get no advantage to stealth rolls), but are still more difficult to hit, as Misdirecting. +0%.