Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2016, 03:57 AM   #1
GWJ

Default [DF] Fright Checks in Dungeon Fantasy

How frequent should be these checks? In which situations? DF is about kicking monstrous asses, and many horrific things are almost nothing uncommon. But in each template are things like Fearlessness or Unfazeable, and there are perks benefitting Fright Checks.
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:07 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: [DF] Fright Checks in Dungeon Fantasy

Frightening things are an important part of the genre, but normally scary things should not cause fright checks. Thus all those things about seeing bodies or normal monsters should not cause such, but being confronted by a ghost or dragon, calls for a fright check.

Thinking about it, I would not really use standard fright checks for anything, but quite many things have dread in the genre(dragons, mummies, all manner of screamers, ghosts and many many more), where those advantages help.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:22 AM   #3
GWJ

Hmm some guidelines maybe?
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:22 AM   #4
Gnome

If the monster has Terror on its character sheet, then it surely has the power to cause Fright Checks. Beyond that, the GM can determine that any situation is scary enough to warrant a Fright Check, but DF PCs should be pretty hard to faze...
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
LoneWolf23k

I had this idea for a kind of "Fear Resistance" advantage. Mainly using Will with the limitation (against Fear checks only). Not sure how much of a bp percentage that would be though. 50%?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
I had this idea for a kind of "Fear Resistance" advantage. Mainly using Will with the limitation (against Fear checks only). Not sure how much of a bp percentage that would be though. 50%?
What you're looking for is Fearlessness (B55), which is [2]/level - functionally -60% to the cost of Will.

As for Fear Checks in DF, I'd probably limit it to foes who specifically have Terror or similar. Given, you as GM will be making most such foes, so I'd say it's only really appropriate on Bosses (although you might have the occasional Elder Thing Worthy have such a trait), and even then probably no more than a quarter of those are likely to cause them.

That's assuming a sort of "standard" DF - if your DF has horror overtones, Fright Checks are going to be much more common!
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
You know Fearlessness already exists, right?
Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #8
The Colonel

Maybe also when encountering immune monsters and especially interesting attacks - being engulphed by slimes, having huge crusher traps go off near you, being bathed in dragon fire ... that sort of thing.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
GodBeastX

GURPS Horror P.139 has the best source of fright check guidelines. Talks about many concepts of a fright check you may not have considered from dead bodies to monsters and supernatural happenings, as well as sudden secret revelations that blow your mind.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
GURPS Horror P.139 has the best source of fright check guidelines. Talks about many concepts of a fright check you may not have considered from dead bodies to monsters and supernatural happenings, as well as sudden secret revelations that blow your mind.
The dead bodies and monsters are presented in the Basic Set p360. Horror expands on them (and adds the supernatural happenings and terrible revelations).

The Horror section is good, but isn't self-contained: you also need the Basic Set page.

EDIT: It also, in my opinion somewhat unfortunately, throws a big X-factor to pure unsupported judgement: It notes that fright check modifiers depend heavily on who is making the check in ways that don't have any mechanical infrastructure. I'd think that for most DF heroes giant monsters, slimy monsters, piles of mutilated corpses, and undead all rate as business as usual, nothing to get worked up about. But there's no way to mechanically encode this.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 03-10-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote