Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-13-2016, 05:11 AM   #1
scc

Default [Basic] Stats of Gadgets

OK I'm playing around with converting the symbionts from D&D 3.5. These where creatures that, as their names suggests, attach themselves to other creatures and grant them a benefit, usually a powerful one. However given that the source of these things is either Fiends or the Eldest of Elder Things acquiring one may not be the best idea.

Right for the most part this looks fairly simple, their just Gadgets, well at least right up until they get ripped off your body and start moving around on their own, not normally something a Gadget does, which suggests they could be Allies, or even both at once.

So how do I handle the case where my Gadget has a mind of it's own and can decide to go walkabout without me?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
Celti

Default Re: [Basic] Stats of Gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
So how do I handle the case where my Gadget has a mind of it's own and can decide to go walkabout without me?
If it has a mind and wishes of its own it's an Ally, and the powers it grants you aren't Gadgets but instead have Granted by (Other), -40%.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
scc

The thing is they don't have much of a mind, apparently if separated from a host all they'll try and do is try and find one, which makes sense for a created creature, so I think the Gadget approach is the best, just give them a note about what they'll do if seperated
Old 03-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
weby

Sounds like if they are ripped off they try to find any host and not just their previous one?

If so, then definitely gadget.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Sounds like if they are ripped off they try to find any host and not just their previous one?

If so, then definitely gadget.
Most likely simply the nearest, easiest target, which is probably the previous host. But an opponent can rip it off you in a fight and attach it to himself.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Most likely simply the nearest, easiest target, which is probably the previous host. But an opponent can rip it off you in a fight and attach it to himself.
Just like how they could rip your sword off in a fight and start stabbing you with it.

Tags
conversion