Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Harald B

Default Interplanar Abilities

There are a number of advantages that would be extra useful if they worked across planes of existence. With Infinite Worlds being the standard setting now, I assumed I'd find appropriate enhancements to get that effect, but they don't seem to be there.
(Using the term plane rather broadly here, meaning it to include alternate dimensions, parallel worlds and other popular paradigms as well, though specifically not any interpenetrating planes, for which you'd use Affect Insubstantial.)
So what would be an appropriate cost to make such an advantage interplanar? I'm specifically interested in the following advantages, though a more general approach would be nice:

Malediction (enhancement) - The penalties would ofc be dependent on the specific planar cosmology. Still, how many % are we looking at here? 300%? 450%? Also, can you use Malediction on an advantage you've just applied Ranged to?
Affliction - Just using the new Malediction enhancement ofc.
Clairsentience - To scry into other planes.
Detect - To detect stuff in other planes.
Mind Control, Mind Probe, and Mind Reading - You might use them on people seen through interplanar Clairsentience.
Mindlink - I think I'd just use +50% Cosmic to make this interplanar.
Telecommunication - A very important one to make interplanar societies function.

So, does anyone have suggested enhancement values for these? Is the lack of interplanarity perhaps intentional and are interplanar abilities considered just too powerful? Will it be handled in Powers?
Harald B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Interplanar Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald B
Telecommunication - A very important one to make interplanar societies function.
While i can not help you with the persficts your asking for. I would point out
Telecommunication (trans-planar) is not nessary for a trans-planar socitiry, mearly the ability to travel trans-planar, as communcations can be dealt with viaa courior system (an trans-planer pony express if you would)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
capnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald B
There are a number of advantages that would be extra useful if they worked across planes of existence. With Infinite Worlds being the standard setting now, I assumed I'd find appropriate enhancements to get that effect, but they don't seem to be there.
(Using the term plane rather broadly here, meaning it to include alternate dimensions, parallel worlds and other popular paradigms as well, though specifically not any interpenetrating planes, for which you'd use Affect Insubstantial.)
So what would be an appropriate cost to make such an advantage interplanar?
I would price it the same as Affects Insubstantial. Which particular plane is involved is really just a special effect.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
Harald B

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq
I would price it the same as Affects Insubstantial. Which particular plane is involved is really just a special effect.
I think you misunderstand me. I would prefer a single enhancement to allow it to affect any plane. Furthermore, I want to even and perhaps especially reach planes with no one-to-one correspondence in locations to ours. Given the lack of corresponding locations it would affect any place in that plane equally easily, effectively giving unlimited range in that plane. Surely Affects Insubstantial doesn't do that.
Harald B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
LoneWolf23k

I can see the advantage for a Multiplanar enhancement to those abilities, if only to better simulate "Demon Lords plotting from Hell"; the kind you see in shows where they sit on their dark thrones, watching the heroes or their own earthly minions through a magical viewing window...
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
Southern Cross

Same here.I don't have the G4 Basic Set at the computer with me,but I think that an ability that can affect any plane would require more than the base Cosmic +50% enhancement.

Tags
infinite worlds