Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
shadedmagus

Default Mage-Hunter Power-Ups

I like the Mage-Hunter template and the theme behind it, and I wanted to come up with some power-up ideas like the other classes have in DF 3 or the Denizens books. So I thought I'd open this thread up to anyone who has any ideas in this regard. I'll start it off with two ideas that I came up with:

Anti-Magic Field
53 points

Prerequisites: Dead Stop, Higher Purpose 3 (Mage-Hunting), Magical Toughening 5, Nondetection 3, and Selective Magic Resistance 5.

You have learned to project your aura into a mana-dampening field that can inhibit wizards and magical creatures which depend on ambient magic to survive. This is taxing to do, however, and can only be used for limited amounts of time.

When the Anti-Magic Field is invoked, an area four yards in radius around you becomes a no-mana zone - unless the area you’re in is a very-high-mana zone, in which case the field dampens it to a low-mana zone. While the field is active, anyone within it either cannot cast at all, or has a -5 penalty if in a very-high-mana zone. Also, magic cannot be used against you directly or is used at -5 in a very high-mana zone (although a Missile spell can still be thrown at you if it was cast outside your field!). If any creatures within the field have a dependency on mana, they begin to suffer as though they were dropped into a no-mana zone.

To activate the field, take a Concentrate maneuver and make a Will roll. On a success, pay 2 FP to activate the field for one second. To keep the field active, pay 2 FP per second after the first. If you’re incapacitated (i.e., knocked unconscious or killed), the field dissipates immediately.

Under the Hood: Mana Damper 3 (Area Effect: 2yd radius, +100% (B67); Costs 2 FP to activate and 2 FP to maintain per second, -20%; Requires Will roll, -5%; Switchable, +100%) [53]

--

Neutralize Caster
50 points

Prerequisites: Caster Sense, Dead Stop, Higher Purpose 3 (Mage-Hunting), Magical Toughening 5, Nondetection 3, and Selective Magic Resistance 5.

You have learned to project your aura into a caster foe, nullifying his/her/its ability to cast or use magic!

You must touch the subject to use this power. Make an Attack maneuver in close combat with the victim. If you hit, roll a Quick Contest of Will with the victim, who gets a bonus equal to their Magery level (or other magical power-source, if using professions from DF). If you win, your victim's powers are neutralized for a number of minutes equal to your margin of victory, rendering them incapable of casting or maintaining any spells.

If you lose or tie, nothing happens - but a critical failure on the Will roll cripples this ability, rendering it unusable for 1d hours.

Under the Hood: Neutralize (Magic) [50] (Powers, p. 97)

---

The prerequisites are steep, but I attribute them to being possible due to the pact mentioned in the text for the Higher Purpose (Mage-Hunting) ability, and needing to be at a certain power-level in order for these abilities to work.

It's my hope that the prerequisites plus the point costs balance the power of these abilities out, but if they're still unbalanced, please let me know. Otherwise, feel free to use these as you like.

Last edited by shadedmagus; 10-31-2018 at 09:17 AM.
shadedmagus is offline   Reply With Quote